Sharing codebehind dlls amongst multiple apps

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark Edwards, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Mark Edwards

    Mark Edwards Guest

    I've got an asp.net app that gets installed 150 times on
    a server. With every installation, there is
    another /bin/ directory with another copy of the dll in
    it. (meaning 150 copies of the dll)

    I want to deploy just one codebehind dll for the whole
    server and tell all the app copies to use it.

    Can this be done?

    I've been doing some research on this and learned the
    difference between a private and shared assembly.

    I've gotten as far as strong-naming the dll and putting
    it into the gac. I've been tweaking the @Page and
    @Assembly directives without any success so far. I also
    looked at setting the probing path, but the docs say you
    can't set the probing path to anything outside the
    application base path.

    Thanks,
    -Mark

    Mark Edwards, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Hi Mark,

    It should work just fine. You shouldn't have to tweak anything. Once the DLL
    is in the GAC, the app should find it.

    Just make sure that you're not getting mixed up with multiple strong named
    versions of the DLL.

    Maybe you can explain further what you're doing with @Page and @Assembly?

    Ken

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Feb 21, 2005