    adapters open?

    Thanks in advance,

    Mervin Williams

    Mervin Williams, Apr 9, 2004

  2. 1) You can use Session State or create a shard class (class with all shared
    methods in VB.NET or static memebers in C#) (use the shared if you want the
    data shared by All users, if you want it specific to the individual, session
    state will work
    2) Yes, but no need to do it. They area perfect object to implement as
    Shared or static since their logic is the same across classes
    3) DataAdapters are never 'open'. They are declared, possilbly
    instantiated, but the only thing that 'opens' is connections. Like anything,
    use only as much as you need. However, the dataadapter doesn't give a hoot
    about the data per se. It just looks to rowstate to decide what it's going
    to do with something. So you can create your own data access layer with
    pretty much the same configuration and pass different datasetsto it.

    Remember that you can fill a dataset/datatable with one dataadapter and
    update say 3 different databases with 3 other data adapters never using the
    first one again. I divorces itself from the data as soon as fill/update etc
    is complete.

    HTH,

    Bill
    "Mervin Williams" <> wrote in message
    > I am using Infragistics UltraWebTab (a tab folder control for ASP.NET).

    My
    > tab folder control will include five tab pages with a separate web form on
    > each, and these web forms will share data.
    >
    > My questions regard the data tier, that is, how I should construct the

    data

    William Ryan eMVP, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Mervin Williams

    Cor Ligthert Guest

    Hi Mervin,

    In addition to Bill, when you really want to save memory you can also use
    the viewstate, however you are transporting that to the client of course.

    Cor

    Cor Ligthert, Apr 9, 2004