Sharing LAN files with ASP.NET?

bruce.1

I'm trying to figure a way for a remote user -- using ASP.NET -- to
share files on a local office LAN.

The remote user would go to an ASP.NET website (on the LAN), mark the
files they want, and ASP.NET would facilitate a download, and keep a
record in a small database of who downloaded and uploaded whatever.

These are big files, say 4 MB, so it's best if the remote user downloads
the file, edits it, then uploads it back to some folder on the LAN. FTP
would be good for this.

The problems is versioning. If the remote user downloads a file for
editting then the local users must be prevented from editting the same
file while it is checked-out by the remote user. FTP has no way of
doing this, that's where ASP.NET comes in.

This is not a problem on the local LAN because Windows gives a file
sharing violation message. I could have ASP.NET open the file, but this
would be problematic so far as sessions go.

One solution might be to have ASP.NET mark the file as read-only until
it is checked back in. But I'd prefer it to be transparent to the local
user and give the same sharing violation as if was opened locally.

Does anyone know a good way to handle this?

Thanks for your help.

Steve Mauldin

Bruce,

This is going to sound like an ad but have you looked into Windows
SharePoint Services?
Now available for download at no additional charge, Microsoft Windows
SharePoint Services
technology in Windows Server 2003 is an integrated portfolio of
collaboration and communication
services designed to connect people, information, processes, and systems
both within and beyond
the organizational firewall. For information about other Windows Server
technologies and services,
see the complete list of Windows Server 2003 Technology Centers.

If I remember correctly there is a windows 2000 version as well. :)

Steve Mauldin