Sharing problem when local path of virtual directory is modified

Richard

Hi,

I created a new directory on my WinXP-Pro/SP2 file system. Then I
created a virtual directory in IIS pointing to that local directory.
After completing that, I noticed that I had a mispelling in the name
of the parent directory of that local directory.

I "improved" the situation by creating a correctly-spelled peer of that
parent directory. Then I dragged my new local directory from its
misspelled parent to the correctlyl spelled parent.

Finally, I edited the local-path property of my virtual directory to
target the new parent-directory path. Then I tried to create a new web
project in VS.NET, which promptly complained that:

========== Complaint ========
The default Web access mode for this project is set to file share, but
the project folder at "http://localhost/Web Control Library" cannot be
opened with the path 'C:\ASP.NET New Examples\WebControlLibrary'. The
error returned was:

Unable to create Web project 'Web Control Library'. The UNC share
''C:\ASP.NET New Examples\WebControlLibrary' does not exist or you do
not have access.
=========== End ===========

I compared the Share attributes on my new directory with other
directories that had worked fine. The others didn't seem to have any
sharing. Mine, in fact did have a share set up, as the complaint said.

I'ld like to learn exactly what's wrong rather than mekely deleting the
stuff I've done and starting over in creating a virtual directory. Any
ideas?

TIA,
Richard

Richard

Hi,

I see there's an ASPNET account that ASP.NET presumably runs under, so
it looks like IIS somehow assigns access privileges to the either the
virtual directory name or the local directory name, but I can't see
where or how that's been done, if at all.

Regards,
Richard