Sharing User Controls

Vlade

I have built a asp.net web project with site wide user controls.
These controls will be used as the top and bottom of every page we
make.

I have the project (which is basically 1 vb class file, 2 user
controls, and 1 aspx page) in VSS now.

THE QUESTION: How do I allow users to pull download the project from
the VSS Server for use in their own local apps, AND THEN SAVE THEIR
NEW ADDED PAGES (along with the controls) AS A NEW VSS PROJECT ??
I basically want to pull it down from the server, and do a 'Save as'
to a new project name in vss. When I try to save this, VSS wants to
overwrite the controls project rather than save it as a new project
that just uses the controls.

I've been using VSS & VS.net properly for months, but under this
scenario, I'm not sure how to use VSS/VS.net to properly pull that
off.

Thanks!

John Saunders

[...]

You'll want to look into the Share feature of VSS. You'll want to share the
files into a folder in the new project.

However, you'll meet problems with using user controls in multiple projects.
I don't know of a general way to solve those problems, other than not using
user controls, but using custom controls instead.

Last edited by a moderator: