Sharing usercontrols in a large dev team.

Ajeet YS

Hello,

We need to share the same user controls among many developers in the
same project. How do we achieve this? We have looked into using Custom
controls, but they have a very high development time & at times can be
complicated.

How can we have a set of user controls, say in a separate project, and
make use of it from there instead of copying the controls to each
individuals project & then using it? We are VS.NET 2003 if its of any help.

Please somebody enlighten us here as we are having a lot of problem in
code sharing.

thank you,
ajeet

John Saunders

Ajeet YS said:
Hello,

We need to share the same user controls among many developers in the
same project. How do we achieve this? We have looked into using Custom
controls, but they have a very high development time & at times can be
complicated.

How can we have a set of user controls, say in a separate project, and
make use of it from there instead of copying the controls to each
individuals project & then using it? We are VS.NET 2003 if its of any help.

Please somebody enlighten us here as we are having a lot of problem in
code sharing.

You cannot share user controls across projects. They are made to be simple,
not flexible.

If all developers are working on the same project, you can put the user
controls in the same project as the developers are working on. Perhaps you
meant to say that the developers are all working on different projects?

Finally, you should take a look at composite controls. See Developing a
Composite Control
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/ht
ml/cpcondevelopingcompositecontrols.asp). These can be a step between user
controls and full-blown custom controls.