Shifting to KDevelop

Roy Schestowitz

My question is a very general and broad one, but I hope I can at least get
some pointers from you guys.

I write code in the context a large C++ project (the vxl vision library) and
CMake is used to generate all the makefiles. However, debugging is slow and
difficult (I tried gdb) and I wanted to port everything into a development
environment like KDevelop. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,
Roy

Joseph Turian

Roy,

KDevelop won't simplify debugging, since its debugging facilities are
but a frontend to gdb.
Nonetheless, it's a solid development environment.
Have you tried ddd?

Joseph

Roy Schestowitz

Joseph said:
Roy,

KDevelop won't simplify debugging, since its debugging facilities are
but a frontend to gdb.
Nonetheless, it's a solid development environment.
Have you tried ddd?

Joseph

Thanks for the reply, Joseph.

I used ddd about 4 years ago. I know it's a front-end to gdb, as well as
Insight and KDevelop (among others). However, I no longer want to work with
KWrite, make and bare gdb. It's slow and messy.

ddd gives me some odd errors, but if you believe it to be as useful as
KDevelop, then I'll give put in the extra effort.

Roy

Joseph Turian

Roy,

I wouldn't say that ddd is as useful as KDevelop, nor would I say the
opposite.
I have no disposition towards ddd, since I rarely use debuggers, and
was merely suggesting it as an option.

Given the programs I find myself writing, (numerical software) I find
debuggers to be a hindrance, and I typically find my bugs through
"print" statements. I also use assertions liberally, to be proactive
about detecting bugs. YMMV

Joseph

Roy Schestowitz

Joseph said:
Roy,

I wouldn't say that ddd is as useful as KDevelop, nor would I say the
opposite.
I have no disposition towards ddd, since I rarely use debuggers, and
was merely suggesting it as an option.

Given the programs I find myself writing, (numerical software) I find
debuggers to be a hindrance, and I typically find my bugs through
"print" statements. I also use assertions liberally, to be proactive
about detecting bugs. YMMV

Joseph

That is exactly what I have been doing all these years. I find debuggers to
be a tedious workaround to standard output. However, I was encouraged to
use one. Given your opinion, I might give up the persuit for debuggers
altogether.

Thanks again,
Roy