Shipping embedded Python project

Miki Tebeka

Hello,

I've extended a C++ project with Python.
I'd like to ship the new project with all the required Python modules
but *without* installing Python on client machines.

I know that py2exe/Installer/cx_freeze ... know how to find which
modules are needed and pack them.

Is there a "standard" way to do this? I didn't find anything in the docs.

Thanks.
Miki

Thomas Heller

Miki Tebeka said:
Hello,

I've extended a C++ project with Python.
I'd like to ship the new project with all the required Python modules
but *without* installing Python on client machines.

I know that py2exe/Installer/cx_freeze ... know how to find which
modules are needed and pack them.

Is there a "standard" way to do this? I didn't find anything in the docs.

py2exe and cx_freeze (not 100% sure about the latter) use modulefinder
to find the modules needed. Installer has it's own mf5.py.

Or you use py2exe to build a zip-compatible archive, and insert it into
sys.path in your program. Do not specify any of the console and windows
options, and pass your 'main-module' with the --includes command line
option. py2exe will happily create a dist directory for you, without an
exe-file.

Thomas

Miki Tebeka

Hello Thomas,
Or you use py2exe to build a zip-compatible archive, and insert it into
sys.path in your program. Do not specify any of the console and windows
options, and pass your 'main-module' with the --includes command line
option. py2exe will happily create a dist directory for you, without an
exe-file.

Great! thanks.
Miki

Miki Tebeka