SHM and Touchpad

Sparky

Hello! I am writing an application that requires access to the state
of a synaptics touch pad on a laptop running Ubuntu Linux (for the
number of fingers, pressure, x location, y location, etc). A different
program using C++ accesses the information through SHM and I was
hoping to do the same with Python. I looked in PyPi and I noticed that
there was a module for SHM but I can not figure out where to download
it from (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/shm). Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Sam

Philip Semanchuk

Hello! I am writing an application that requires access to the state
of a synaptics touch pad on a laptop running Ubuntu Linux (for the
number of fingers, pressure, x location, y location, etc). A different
program using C++ accesses the information through SHM and I was
hoping to do the same with Python. I looked in PyPi and I noticed that
there was a module for SHM but I can not figure out where to download
it from (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/shm). Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Hi Sam,
I'm not familiar with that shm, however there was (and still is) a old
Python IPC module called shm. It uses Sys V semaphores, not POSIX
semaphores like the shm in pypi.

The old shm module has been replaced by two newer ones. For Sys V IPC:
http://semanchuk.com/philip/sysv_ipc/

For POSIX IPC:
http://semanchuk.com/philip/posix_ipc/

The old shm module is still around on semanchuk.com but I'm not
updating it anymore (the author is AWOL and I'm just the maintainer)
and I don't recommend using it.

HTH
Philip

Sparky

Hi Sam,
I'm not familiar with that shm, however there was (and still is) a old
Python IPC module called shm. It uses Sys V semaphores, not POSIX
semaphores like the shm in pypi.

The old shm module has been replaced by two newer ones. For Sys V IPC:http://semanchuk.com/philip/sysv_ipc/

For POSIX IPC:http://semanchuk.com/philip/posix_ipc/

The old shm module is still around on semanchuk.com but I'm not
updating it anymore (the author is AWOL and I'm just the maintainer)
and I don't recommend using it.

HTH
Philip

Dear Philip,

Thank you for your quick response, I will take a look at the link you
provided.

Lie Ryan

Sparky said:
Thank you for your quick response, I will take a look at the link you
provided.

Depending on what you're trying to do, you may be able to use
`synclient` with subprocess.