    suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Sam

    Sparky, Jun 17, 2009

  2. On Jun 17, 2009, at 3:56 PM, Sparky wrote:

    > Hello! I am writing an application that requires access to the state
    > of a synaptics touch pad on a laptop running Ubuntu Linux (for the
    > number of fingers, pressure, x location, y location, etc). A different
    > program using C++ accesses the information through SHM and I was
    > hoping to do the same with Python. I looked in PyPi and I noticed that
    > there was a module for SHM but I can not figure out where to download
    > it from (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/shm). Does anyone have any
    > suggestions?

    Hi Sam,
    I'm not familiar with that shm, however there was (and still is) a old
    Python IPC module called shm. It uses Sys V semaphores, not POSIX
    semaphores like the shm in pypi.

    The old shm module has been replaced by two newer ones. For Sys V IPC:
    http://semanchuk.com/philip/sysv_ipc/

    For POSIX IPC:
    http://semanchuk.com/philip/posix_ipc/

    The old shm module is still around on semanchuk.com but I'm not
    updating it anymore (the author is AWOL and I'm just the maintainer)
    and I don't recommend using it.

    HTH
    Philip

    Philip Semanchuk, Jun 17, 2009

  3. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    On Jun 17, 2:09 pm, Philip Semanchuk <> wrote:
    > On Jun 17, 2009, at 3:56 PM, Sparky wrote:
    >
    > > Hello! I am writing an application that requires access to the state
    > > of a synaptics touch pad on a laptop running Ubuntu Linux (for the
    > > number of fingers, pressure, x location, y location, etc). A different
    > > program using C++ accesses the information through SHM and I was
    > > hoping to do the same with Python. I looked in PyPi and I noticed that
    > > there was a module for SHM but I can not figure out where to download
    > > it from (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/shm). Does anyone have any
    > > suggestions?

    > Hi Sam,
    > I'm not familiar with that shm, however there was (and still is) a old
    > Python IPC module called shm. It uses Sys V semaphores, not POSIX
    > semaphores like the shm in pypi.
    >
    > The old shm module has been replaced by two newer ones. For Sys V IPC:http://semanchuk.com/philip/sysv_ipc/
    >
    > For POSIX IPC:http://semanchuk.com/philip/posix_ipc/
    >
    > The old shm module is still around on semanchuk.com but I'm not
    > updating it anymore (the author is AWOL and I'm just the maintainer)
    > and I don't recommend using it.
    >
    > HTH
    > Philip

    Dear Philip,

    Thank you for your quick response, I will take a look at the link you
    provided.

    Sparky, Jun 17, 2009
  4. Sparky

    Lie Ryan Guest

    Sparky wrote:

    > Thank you for your quick response, I will take a look at the link you
    > provided.

    Depending on what you're trying to do, you may be able to use
    `synclient` with subprocess.

    Lie Ryan, Jun 17, 2009