short ASP question

Jimmy Tran

Hi everyone,
I have a 2 part question. One is that is there anyway I could use
cookies or anyother method so that when my visitor visits my site, it
will display "Hello ComputerA" where ComputerA is the name of the
computer the visitor is using. My other question: I have frontpage2000
and access 97, i tried to create a webdatabase wizard using fp2000, then
i go to the folder where the database was created by fp and tried to
open the database(.mdb) file in access97 and it prompted "Unrecognized
database format c:\foldername\file.mdb". Could this be because i have
fp200 and access97? Thank you in advance for all your help.
Thank You,
Jim

Ray at

Jimmy Tran said:
Hi everyone,
I have a 2 part question. One is that is there anyway I could use
cookies or anyother method so that when my visitor visits my site, it
will display "Hello ComputerA" where ComputerA is the name of the
computer the visitor is using.

You cannot get the name of the computer from ASP. (This isn't entirely
true, actually.) You can get the IP from
request.servervarablies("remote_host"). To get the name of the computer,
you'd have to do a reverse dns lookup or some other means of resolving the
name by IP. This would only work in an intranet environment, typically.

My other question: I have frontpage2000
and access 97, i tried to create a webdatabase wizard using fp2000, then
i go to the folder where the database was created by fp and tried to
open the database(.mdb) file in access97 and it prompted "Unrecognized
database format c:\foldername\file.mdb". Could this be because i have
fp200 and access97? Thank you in advance for all your help.

I'm not familiar with this "web database wizard" but I imagine it creates an
mdb in the Access 2000/2002 format. Access 97 uses a different format and
it cannot recognized dbs in the 2000 or 2002 format. You'd be best off
getting Access 2000. If you can't do that, you'll have to create the DB in
Access yourself if you want to be able to open it in Access. But, iirc, if
you want to use an Access 97 DB in ASP pages, you'll have to use an ODBC
connection to connect to it. I could be wrong about that though.

Ray at home