Should add(Component, 0) put a component on top?

Mickey Segal

Various code snippets for doing ToolTips use the method:
add(Component, int)
specifying an 'int' of 0 to place the ToolTip on top of other components.
This works on a variety of Sun and Microsoft JVMs on Windows, and on all
Macintosh JVMs before 1.4, but fails on Macintosh Java 1.4. This is shown
with a working applet and full source code at:
http://Segal.org/java/AddOrder2/.

I have two questions:
1. Is the failure of this to work on Macintosh Java 1.4 a bug, or merely a
failure to implement a useful interpretation made by the other major
environments? On Macintosh Java 1.4 the component is added under other
components; on other JVMs it is placed on top as expected.

2. Is there some other way to place a component on top of others? My goal
is not just creating a Java 1.1 ToolTip, it is to create a Choice-like
component that has more functionality than the standard Choice, but also has
a pull-down section as does the standard Choice component.