Should 'Breadcrumbs' be a list?

Andrew

Hi,

I was pottering around on my 'hobby' site today and changed the site
navigation to a modified breadcrumb type. (Following a previous
alt.html discussion about decreasing the amount of navigation on each
and every page.)

But if was to be semantically correct should I make this a styled
unordered list? Or am I getting a little fussy :)

An example:

http://www.andrews-corner.org/homer.html

Not a critical problem but I would like the site well grounded before
I start adding a host of new material :)

Thanks for anybody who can help,

Andrew

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Andrew
Hi,

I was pottering around on my 'hobby' site today and changed the site
navigation to a modified breadcrumb type. (Following a previous
alt.html discussion about decreasing the amount of navigation on each
and every page.)

But if was to be semantically correct should I make this a styled
unordered list? Or am I getting a little fussy :)

An example:

http://www.andrews-corner.org/homer.html

Not a critical problem but I would like the site well grounded before
I start adding a host of new material :)

Thanks for anybody who can help,

Andrew

That's what I do. Your list looks fine. The only thing that I do
differently:
<ul>
<li>You are here</li>
<li class="theend">This page</li>
</ul>

Leif K-Brooks

Adrienne said:
<ul>
<li>You are here</li>
<li class="theend">This page</li>
</ul>

I would say the first item belongs in a heading above the list, not as
part of the list.

dorayme

Leif K-Brooks said:
I would say the first item belongs in a heading above the list, not as
part of the list.

A bit hard to say... the list is of where you are in relation to
where you have been or could have been naturally. And so seems
fine enough in this case.

Leif K-Brooks

dorayme said:
A bit hard to say... the list is of where you are in relation to
where you have been or could have been naturally. And so seems
fine enough in this case.

But the text 'You are here' is a _description_ of a list showing where
you've been, not part of that list. You haven't been to, and can't ever
be at, a page called 'You are here'.

David Dorward

Andrew said:
But if was to be semantically correct should I make this a styled
unordered list?

Isn't the list in the order of the page hierarchy? So shouldn't it be an
ordered list?

Andrew

Isn't the list in the order of the page hierarchy? So shouldn't it be an
ordered list?

Hi David,

That makes so much sense that I have changed the navigation to an
ordered list! Thanks for pointing out what looks to me like great
logic.

Regards,

Andrew

richard

Leif K-Brooks said:
But the text 'You are here' is a _description_ of a list showing where
you've been, not part of that list. You haven't been to, and can't ever be
at, a page called 'You are here'.

What if "you are here" shows you to be on page 32 and not the home page?

jojo

Leif said:
What the hell does that have to do with anything?

it has to do with what dorayme said: > A bit hard to say... the list is

Leif K-Brooks said:
But the text 'You are here' is a _description_ of a list showing where
you've been, not part of that list. You haven't been to, and can't ever
be at, a page called 'You are here'.

I was thinking not so much of the exact words used but the
general idea of showing a list of orientation with the first item
being a prominent part of the list itself by being first. (I hope
I am not seeming to reason from hindsight: I have noticed that DD
mentions the ordered list and this seems to me to capture the
spirit more.)

The issue turns, of course, on the subject of the list. In a
visual map, there is often a cross to indicate where you are. But
it is part of the map itself. Leif has concentrated on some exact
wording here and in my opinion at least, "the text 'You are here'
is a _description_ of a list...' is not quite true. It is a
marker like in a map and can be considered part of the map. The
list is a word map.

But I am not saying that Leif's point is quite unreasonable.