Should 'Breadcrumbs' be a list?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Andrew, Sep 25, 2006.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Hi,

    I was pottering around on my 'hobby' site today and changed the site
    navigation to a modified breadcrumb type. (Following a previous
    alt.html discussion about decreasing the amount of navigation on each
    and every page.)

    But if was to be semantically correct should I make this a styled
    unordered list? Or am I getting a little fussy :)

    An example:

    http://www.andrews-corner.org/homer.html

    Not a critical problem but I would like the site well grounded before
    I start adding a host of new material :)

    Thanks for anybody who can help,

    Andrew
    --

    Andrew
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/
    Andrew, Sep 25, 2006

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Andrew
    <sorry.no.email@post_NG.com> writing in

    > Hi,
    >
    > I was pottering around on my 'hobby' site today and changed the site
    > navigation to a modified breadcrumb type. (Following a previous
    > alt.html discussion about decreasing the amount of navigation on each
    > and every page.)
    >
    > But if was to be semantically correct should I make this a styled
    > unordered list? Or am I getting a little fussy :)
    >
    > An example:
    >
    > http://www.andrews-corner.org/homer.html
    >
    > Not a critical problem but I would like the site well grounded before
    > I start adding a host of new material :)
    >
    > Thanks for anybody who can help,
    >
    > Andrew

    That's what I do. Your list looks fine. The only thing that I do
    differently:
    <ul>
    <li>You are here</li>
    <li class="theend">This page</li>
    </ul>

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Sep 25, 2006

  3. Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > <ul>
    > <li>You are here</li>
    > <li class="theend">This page</li>
    > </ul>

    I would say the first item belongs in a heading above the list, not as
    part of the list.
    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 25, 2006
  4. Andrew

    dorayme Guest

    In article <45175640$0$19904$>,
    Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > > <ul>
    > > <li>You are here</li>
    > > <li class="theend">This page</li>
    > > </ul>

    > I would say the first item belongs in a heading above the list, not as
    > part of the list.

    A bit hard to say... the list is of where you are in relation to
    where you have been or could have been naturally. And so seems
    fine enough in this case.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 25, 2006
  5. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <45175640$0$19904$>,
    > Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:
    >
    >> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >>> <ul>
    >>> <li>You are here</li>
    >>> <li class="theend">This page</li>
    >>> </ul>

    >> I would say the first item belongs in a heading above the list, not as
    >> part of the list.

    > A bit hard to say... the list is of where you are in relation to
    > where you have been or could have been naturally. And so seems
    > fine enough in this case.

    But the text 'You are here' is a _description_ of a list showing where
    you've been, not part of that list. You haven't been to, and can't ever
    be at, a page called 'You are here'.
    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 25, 2006
  6. Andrew wrote:

    > But if was to be semantically correct should I make this a styled
    > unordered list?

    Isn't the list in the order of the page hierarchy? So shouldn't it be an
    ordered list?

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Sep 25, 2006
  7. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 08:06:03 +0100, David Dorward <>
    wrote:

    >Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> But if was to be semantically correct should I make this a styled
    >> unordered list?

    >Isn't the list in the order of the page hierarchy? So shouldn't it be an
    >ordered list?

    Hi David,

    That makes so much sense that I have changed the navigation to an
    ordered list! Thanks for pointing out what looks to me like great
    logic.

    Regards,

    Andrew
    --

    Andrew
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/
    Andrew, Sep 25, 2006
  8. Andrew

    richard Guest

    "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message
    > dorayme wrote:
    >> In article <45175640$0$19904$>,

    >>> I would say the first item belongs in a heading above the list, not as
    >>> part of the list.

    >> A bit hard to say... the list is of where you are in relation to where
    >> you have been or could have been naturally. And so seems fine enough in
    >> this case.

    > But the text 'You are here' is a _description_ of a list showing where
    > you've been, not part of that list. You haven't been to, and can't ever be
    > at, a page called 'You are here'.

    What if "you are here" shows you to be on page 32 and not the home page?
    richard, Sep 25, 2006
  9. richard wrote:
    > "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message
    >> But the text 'You are here' is a _description_ of a list showing where
    >> you've been, not part of that list. You haven't been to, and can't
    >> ever be at, a page called 'You are here'.

    > What if "you are here" shows you to be on page 32 and not the home page?

    What the hell does that have to do with anything?
    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 25, 2006
  10. Andrew

    jojo Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    >>> But the text 'You are here' is a _description_ of a list showing
    >>> where you've been, not part of that list. You haven't been to, and
    >>> can't ever be at, a page called 'You are here'.

    >> What if "you are here" shows you to be on page 32 and not the home page?

    > What the hell does that have to do with anything?

    it has to do with what dorayme said: > A bit hard to say... the list is
    jojo, Sep 25, 2006
  11. Andrew

    dorayme Guest

    In article <451764d3$0$19916$>,
    Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <45175640$0$19904$>,

    > >> I would say the first item belongs in a heading above the list, not as
    > >> part of the list.

    > > A bit hard to say... the list is of where you are in relation to
    > > where you have been or could have been naturally. And so seems
    > > fine enough in this case.

    > But the text 'You are here' is a _description_ of a list showing where
    > you've been, not part of that list. You haven't been to, and can't ever
    > be at, a page called 'You are here'.

    I was thinking not so much of the exact words used but the
    general idea of showing a list of orientation with the first item
    being a prominent part of the list itself by being first. (I hope
    I am not seeming to reason from hindsight: I have noticed that DD
    mentions the ordered list and this seems to me to capture the
    spirit more.)

    The issue turns, of course, on the subject of the list. In a
    visual map, there is often a cross to indicate where you are. But
    it is part of the map itself. Leif has concentrated on some exact
    wording here and in my opinion at least, "the text 'You are here'
    is a _description_ of a list...' is not quite true. It is a
    marker like in a map and can be considered part of the map. The
    list is a word map.

    But I am not saying that Leif's point is quite unreasonable.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 25, 2006