Should client-side validation pop-up a message box? It doesn't!!

Alan Silver

Hello,

I have just added a required field validator control to a page and have
been testing out what happens when you post the page.

It seems that client-side validation is working as the page doesn't
actually get submitted if the field is empty, and the error message is
shown as expected. If you enter something in the field, the error
message goes away as you type.

The problem is that if someone is filling in the (fairly large) form and
clicks the OK button (which is right at the bottom), they will not think
anything has happened. Sure, there may be an error message further up
the page, but that could well be off the screen. At the moment, there's
no indication that an error was detected.

Shouldn't there be a pop-up message box informing them of the error? If
so, any idea why I don't get one? As I said, client-side validation
seems to be working fine apart from this.

TIA

Phillip Ian

You could throw a validation summary component right above the Ok
button. Then you'd get the error at the validator, and at the summary
location.

-Phil

Alan Silver

You could throw a validation summary component right above the Ok
button. Then you'd get the error at the validator, and at the summary
location.

Thanks, that was exactly what I wanted. I had it in my head that
individual validators gave a message box, but I guess that could be
pretty annoying if you had a lot of validators!!

Thanks again.