Should I auto-detect screen resolution?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Shan, Sep 7, 2003.

  1. Shan

    Shan Guest

    In recent days I requested a site check on a project I am
    working on for a photography company at http://www.pixul.com .

    My problem is that the screen resolutions of visitors is split
    almost in half between 800x600 and 1024x768 +. I have landscape
    oriented imaages as well as portrait oriented images. It is
    impossible to get a gallery that can be fully viewed without
    scrolling AND is visually clear for both screen resolutions.

    I realize that you always design for the lowest commone
    denominator. However,if you are selling photographs, you do want
    your visitor to be able to see the images very clearly. If I
    resize the thumbnails and images down for 800x600, those with
    1024x768 or higher just aren't going to see it as well. Here is
    an example of a gallery that will not resize down well:
    http://www.pixul.com/images/gallery/statues/index.htm .
    Since it's half and half, I believe that I should have galleries
    customized for the two resolutions, and autodetect on a front
    intro page (which hasn't been created yet).

    I am getting my resolution information here:
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp . I have
    done a site with a text-only version and a graphical version
    before and I did not enjoy maintaining it. In this case I think
    it will be worth the extra trouble. Any thoughts?

    Shan
    Shan, Sep 7, 2003

  2. Shan

    DU Guest

    Shan wrote:

    > In recent days I requested a site check on a project I am
    > working on for a photography company at http://www.pixul.com .
    >
    > My problem is that the screen resolutions of visitors is split
    > almost in half between 800x600 and 1024x768 +. I have landscape
    > oriented imaages as well as portrait oriented images. It is
    > impossible to get a gallery that can be fully viewed without
    > scrolling AND is visually clear for both screen resolutions.

    What is so wrong with a page that has a vertical scrollbar. Explain
    that, convince me of that and I'll email Bill Gates, mozilla.org and
    Opera dev. team to eradicate, to neutralize, to sterilize for good and
    forever scrollbars in their respective browsers.

    > I realize that you always design for the lowest commone
    > denominator.

    Can you elaborate on this? The lowest common denominator is also
    "settable" in a project development, you know.

    However,if you are selling photographs, you do want
    > your visitor to be able to see the images very clearly. If I
    > resize the thumbnails and images down for 800x600, those with
    > 1024x768 or higher just aren't going to see it as well.

    I don't understand what you mean.

    Here is
    > an example of a gallery that will not resize down well:
    > http://www.pixul.com/images/gallery/statues/index.htm .

    If the user has javascript turn off (8-12% of all users), then he won't
    be able to see any or the enlarged images at all. That because of your
    code and MM script functions.

    > Since it's half and half, I believe that I should have galleries
    > customized for the two resolutions, and autodetect on a front
    > intro page (which hasn't been created yet).

    I definitively do NOT recommend scr. res. autodetect and creating 2
    galleries for 2 resolutions. This strikes me as an absurd waste of time.
    Every day or so, people of this newsgroup recommend (along with/backed
    up with numerous tutorial sites, instructional column, explanatory
    articles, etc..) to design sites that are the most independent from src.
    res. as possible. You,re trying to go in an opposite directions.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Sep 7, 2003

  3. (Shan) writes:

    > My problem is that the screen resolutions of visitors is split
    > almost in half between 800x600 and 1024x768 +.

    Your problem is that those figures don't mean anything, even if they
    were accurate. For starters, resolution is totally unrelated to the
    size of an application window.

    > I realize that you always design for the lowest commone
    > denominator. However,if you are selling photographs, you do want
    > your visitor to be able to see the images very clearly.

    ACK

    So give the visitor a *choice*. Personally I'd consider colors a much
    bigger issue, BTW. It's rather difficult to have photographs look good
    on e.g. both Macintoy and Windoze. Usually this is base noise, but if
    photographs are your business, that's no good.

    > Since it's half and half, I believe that I should have galleries
    > customized for the two resolutions,

    I agree that it can be a good idea to offer a large and a small version,
    respectively linked to each other.

    > and autodetect on a front
    > intro page (which hasn't been created yet).

    That's the worst you can do; in the best case scenario it doesn't work
    at all. What you can do to add some comfort is:

    - default to the smaller view if client side scripting is not available
    using NOSCRIPT -- if in doubt, always be conservative

    - use client side scripting to check the visitor's system resolution and
    default to the size you find applicable

    As long as the other version is always provided as an alternative and a
    fallback is available, this wouldn't really hurt (but avoid stuff like
    '800x600' or 'choose your resolution', etc as descriptions for required
    user action; it's inaccurate and many people have no idea what it means,
    or what their resolution might be, or if they have, it might not be
    covered).

    --
    "The average usefulness of a thread is inversely proportional to the
    cube of the number of groups it is posted to."
    Eric B. Bednarz, Sep 7, 2003
  4. Shan

    Isofarro Guest

    Shan wrote:

    > My problem is that the screen resolutions of visitors is split
    > almost in half between 800x600 and 1024x768 +.

    Meaningless statistic really. You don't really believe that all these people
    run their browser maximised on these resolutions, right?

    > It is
    > impossible to get a gallery that can be fully viewed without
    > scrolling AND is visually clear for both screen resolutions.

    Using web techniques this is possible. If you insist on having pixel perfect
    control, then you are making things more difficult than they need to be.

    > I realize that you always design for the lowest commone
    > denominator.

    Then you are mistaken. A good webdesign works well for more than one browser
    window width.

    > However,if you are selling photographs, you do want
    > your visitor to be able to see the images very clearly.

    In which case you shouldn't be letting this mythical screen resolution
    dictate the size of the image, since that limited the clarity of the image.
    Why not render the image at its proper size - if clarity is that important,
    the user won't mind scrolling to see the whole image which can be bigger
    than any browser window.

    > I am getting my resolution information here:
    > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp .

    And do you fully understand how these "statistics" are determined, along
    with the obvious flaw in its determination?

    --
    Iso.
    Web Standards: http://www.webstandards.org/
    Isofarro, Sep 7, 2003