Should I develop on IIS6 or VS2005 web server?

Carl Johansen

We currently develop ASP.NET 1.1 applications on Windows 2000 Workstation
(using the workstation version of IIS5) and run them on W2K Servers, so
everything is IIS5. We want to upgrade the servers to II6, but we think the
development environment should match the server. Should we upgrade our
workstations to Windows 2003? There's no workstation version of that OS.
Or should we just upgrade to VS2005 and use its new web server feature?

Thanks in advance,
Carl Johansen
http://www.carljohansen.co.uk

Robbe Morris [C# MVP]

What feature of IIS 6 do you plan to administer in your
ASP.NET application? Unless your app is administering
features of IIS, the development environment does not
need to match your production environment when
speaking strictly about IIS.

You are worrying about a problem that does
not exist.

--
2004 and 2005 Microsoft MVP C#
Robbe Morris

Earn $$$ money answering .NET Framework
messageboard posts at EggHeadCafe.com.
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forums/merit.asp

Karl Seguin

Carl:
If you really think the development environment should match the server,
then upgrading to VS.Net 2005 and using the built-in web server won't match
the production server of IIS 6.0.

You should move to VS.Net 2005 when you are ready to do 2.0
development...and the decision shouldn't be based on development vs
production IIS versions in my humblest of opionions.

Our testing and staging environment matches our production environment...I
see no reason why the development environment should. You might not have a
testing/staging environment, so I could see why you'd want to. For a while
now we've been doing Xp Pro dev and Server 2003 production...that's how I'd
do it.

I realize I'm not picking any of your two choices, but your 2nd one seems to
be invalid based on your constraint, leaving you with only the other
choice...or to re-evaluate your constraint...

Karl