    Lake Superior Web Design
    Professional Web Design - Affordable Prices
    http://www.lswebdesign.net

    Oddlot, Jul 6, 2003

  2. "Oddlot" <> wrote in message 7/6/2003:

    >he copied my graphics and is using them also!... Worst part of it

    is....They look
    > horrible!...
    >
    > Complimentary as it may be I have contacted him and his host.
    >
    > Joe, Lake Superior Web Design, Professional Web Design - Affordable

    Prices
    > http://www.lswebdesign.net

    I'm sorry. Your site, of course, looks professional.

    I don't remember the site or its name but I'm sure I've seen it posted, one
    where you can check for pirated sites or if someone is pirating yours.

    Can anyone help?

    Kathy

    kathy painter, Jul 6, 2003

  3. Oddlot

    Kris Guest

    In article <be9tfu$2ponk$>,
    "kathy painter" <> wrote:

    > I'm sorry. Your site, of course, looks professional.
    >
    > I don't remember the site or its name but I'm sure I've seen it posted, one
    > where you can check for pirated sites or if someone is pirating yours.
    >
    > Can anyone help?

    piratedsites.com

    Kris, Jul 6, 2003
  4. Oddlot

    Kris Guest

    In article <4all.nl>,
    Kris <> wrote:

    > In article <be9tfu$2ponk$>,
    > "kathy painter" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm sorry. Your site, of course, looks professional.
    > >
    > > I don't remember the site or its name but I'm sure I've seen it posted, one
    > > where you can check for pirated sites or if someone is pirating yours.
    > >
    > > Can anyone help?

    > piratedsites.com

    Sorry. I meant pirated-sites.com, though it seems unreachable to me
    right now. I don't know why.

    Kris, Jul 6, 2003
  5. On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 13:57:54 -0500, "Oddlot" <>
    wrote:

    >They say that impersonation is a form of flattery. Should I feel flattered
    >that the designer of http://www.bestwebsdesign.com , not only copied my text
    >Verbatim and used it on his web design business site, but he copied my
    >graphics and is using them also!... Worst part of it is....They look
    >horrible!...
    >
    >Complimentary as it may be I have contacted him and his host.
    >
    >Joe

    Well, I'd do a Whois query snapshot and highlight/circle the created
    date, for both your domain and the perp's domain. Then send print
    those and send via snail mail, as well as sending via email, so the
    perp's host will see for themselves the "copyright" created date.

    Now on the flip side, verbatim would include every single word, which
    it looks as though he has used your site as a template as far as
    verbage, but not wholly.

    What is it that is more objectionable, layout copying, or verbage?
    Graphics theft (gold bullet ?)? Did you actually make the gold
    bullet, or get it from a clip art package, if you got it from a clip
    art package, then the valid objection is more of design.

    Consider the fact that there are so many ways to say certain things,
    I've got some bookmarks, four of which begin with "Welcome to", now
    two of the sites are sister sites:

    http://www.moes.com/
    http://www.mamafus.com/

    The others:

    http://www.landandlogs.com/
    http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/special_packages/iraq/6032355.htm

    Put before a court of law these issue and other similar ones would
    probably come up, for instance, the use of splash pages, home pages,
    site maps, galleries, etc...

    Sincerely,

    Andrew H. Carter

    Andrew H. Carter, Jul 6, 2003
  6. "Oddlot" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > They say that impersonation is a form of flattery. Should I feel flattered
    > that the designer of http://www.bestwebsdesign.com , not only copied my text
    > Verbatim and used it on his web design business site, but he copied my
    > graphics and is using them also!... Worst part of it is....They look
    > horrible!...
    >
    > Complimentary as it may be I have contacted him and his host.
    >
    > Joe

    hahahahahahahahaha

    Oh... thats awsome. I just laughed so hard.

    Thanks :)

    I can't beleive someone would actually do that... and do it so
    horribly! Sheesh!

    I'm glad you have taken measures to correct this. Don't back down.
    He should get in trouble.

    Kathleen Coyne, Jul 6, 2003
  7. Oddlot

    SAZ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > They say that impersonation is a form of flattery. Should I feel flattered
    > that the designer of http://www.bestwebsdesign.com , not only copied my text
    > Verbatim and used it on his web design business site, but he copied my
    > graphics and is using them also!... Worst part of it is....They look
    > horrible!...
    >
    > Complimentary as it may be I have contacted him and his host.
    >
    > Joe

    As of now, 7/6/03 at 9pm CST, site is back to the way it was...Swish
    movie and all.

    I wouldn't worry about this guy. His current site shows his ability (or
    lack thereof).

    SAZ, Jul 7, 2003
  8. Oddlot

    P@tty Ayers Guest

    > ... not only copied my text
    > Verbatim and used it on his web design business site,

    A while back I discovered that someone had copied text from my web design business site and used it. While I was dealing with that, I took chunks of that text and did a Google search on it, and found 10 other sites using the same page of text! Maybe of them kept the formatting and every word exactly the way it was.

    I was steamed! I wrote to all of them, and about half apologized (although it was always some "colleague" who had done it) and took the text down. The other 5 or so never even responded, and continue to use my original work. I haven't done any more searches, because I'm pretty sure it's spread even farther by now.

    Getting to the point :) I think it's wise to take some measure to protect your original text. At the very least, print it out and mail it to yourself, keeping the sealed postmarked letter as proof that you had written the text as of a certain date. It could at least help give you some clout if and when you have to confront someone in the future.

    --
    P@tty Ayers
    http://www.WebDevBiz.com

    P@tty Ayers, Jul 7, 2003
  9. Oddlot

    Talc Ta Matt Guest

    This sort of thing happens all the time. It's almost always a designer so
    braindead that they haven't been able to update their skills whatsoever in
    several years. The crap in their portfolio hasn't been considered good since
    1996.

    Talc Ta Matt, Jul 8, 2003