should I force a install for DBD::mysql if tests fail?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Rahul, Jul 21, 2009.

  1. Rahul

    Rahul Guest

    I tried to install from CPAN "DBD::mysql" and it failed saying:

    Running make install
    make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

    I can see that the tests are failing like so:

    all skipped: ERROR: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
    password: NO). Can't continue test
    t/40keyinfo.................skipped

    etc.

    It seems that mysql is not allowing it to connect passwordless as root.
    This seems desirable to me! Should I just force the install somehow or is
    there a cleaner fix?

    --
    Rahul

    Rahul, Jul 21, 2009

  2. Rahul

    Rahul Guest

    Keith Keller <-francisco.ca.us> wrote in

    > Do you need the latest version for a specific reason? If not, and you
    > are on a linux platform, your distro probably already provides DBD::mysql
    > in one of its packages.

    Thanks Keith! I was installing Bugzilla and its pre-installation check-
    script "checksetup.pl" complained:

    * In order to access your database, Bugzilla requires that the *
    * correct "DBD" module be installed for the database that you are *
    * running.
    MySQL: /usr/bin/perl install-module.pl DBD::mysql
    Minimum version required: 4.00

    I am on RHEL. I tried "yum info perl-DBD-mysql" and it says:

    [snip]
    Version : 3.0007
    Release : 2.el5
    Size : 326 k
    Repo : installed
    [snip]

    So I assume the native version won't do! Is there any other way out? What
    would you recommend in this case?

    --
    Rahul

    Rahul, Jul 21, 2009

  3. Rahul

    > There are many versions of RHEL; I'm guessing you're on 5, but if not
    > you should specify.

    Right, my bad! Didn't realize it could be relevant.

    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga)

    --
    Rahul

    Rahul, Jul 22, 2009
  4. Rahul

    > You have at least three options, of which I slightly prefer the first.

    Thanks Keith. I got it installed now. Motivated by comments it did it using
    a slightly modified "Option 4"

    mysql>grant all privileges on test.* to 'root'@'localhost' identified by ''

    perl -MCPAN -e 'install DBD::mysql'

    mysql> ####commands to revoke passwordless loging####

    --
    Rahul

    Rahul, Jul 22, 2009
  5. Rahul

    > How else would you configure testing in an arbitrary MySQL environment?
    > Any default username/password/dbname combination is sure not to work in
    > many environments, not to mention dbhost. So, either you're stuck with
    > not doing any of the live db tests, or you need a way to configure them.
    > Or you ignore the results of the live tests if in CPAN, or tell users to
    > force install DBD::mysql. But neither of those seem best practice.

    Maybe tell users to add a specific user/pw to mysql with very limited
    permissions on a test db. Thats what I ended up doing. There were some
    instructions but I missed them in the lots of scrolling output. Maybe if
    CPAN stopped there for a user input.

    --
    Rahul

    Rahul, Jul 22, 2009