    regards
    John

    , Jul 25, 2006

  2. A lot will depend on how long your testing tool takes to run, what it needs
    to access and how many users it will have.

    If it needs to access network resources for example any web based app can
    have trouble doing this, it may need specific permission to do something or
    need to spawn windows to run things. If it takes ages, your hanging your
    web service thread around waiting for it to end.

    Perhaps think about using webservice to log the job remote request into a
    queue of some form, and reply with a unique job ID. Then a server based app
    can pick up the request, process it and report back to the DB on status.
    That way your web server remains as responsive as possible, you may mitigate
    some permission problems and your client can use the ID to check on status
    anytime.

    --
    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)

    John Timney \(MVP\), Jul 25, 2006

    Hi Timney,
    Ur statements make lot of sense, instead of the Web
    services i am planning to go with remoting,

    I have been reading lot of articles whether to go for Web service or
    Remoting, so far i have concluded that Remoting would be much better
    idea than Web service.
    1. Our tool will be accessed within our corporate lan
    2. Remoting is faster than web service
    3. clients need to be continuouslyupdated with status of their
    respective test cases,
    4. and certainly needs two way communication.

    i hope i am right going with remoting instead of web service. am
    i Timney ??

    Thanks
    regards
    John