Should i go for Web Service?

LearnMore.John

Hello Gurus

We need to implement a testing tool which interacts with
hardware using .Net 2.0.
It has the following requirements,
1. Ability to login remotely
2. The tool should wait for the inputs, if it gets an input
( say set of test cases)it should start for the testing process and
generate report and send it to the client after completion.
3. show the status of tool,
4. Kind of batch processing

should i go for web services? or any other technology

plz suggest

thanks
regards
John

John Timney \(MVP\)

A lot will depend on how long your testing tool takes to run, what it needs
to access and how many users it will have.

If it needs to access network resources for example any web based app can
have trouble doing this, it may need specific permission to do something or
need to spawn windows to run things. If it takes ages, your hanging your
web service thread around waiting for it to end.

Perhaps think about using webservice to log the job remote request into a
queue of some form, and reply with a unique job ID. Then a server based app
can pick up the request, process it and report back to the DB on status.
That way your web server remains as responsive as possible, you may mitigate
some permission problems and your client can use the ID to check on status
anytime.

LearnMore.John

Hi Timney,
Ur statements make lot of sense, instead of the Web
services i am planning to go with remoting,

I have been reading lot of articles whether to go for Web service or
Remoting, so far i have concluded that Remoting would be much better
idea than Web service.
1. Our tool will be accessed within our corporate lan
2. Remoting is faster than web service
3. clients need to be continuouslyupdated with status of their
respective test cases,
4. and certainly needs two way communication.

i hope i am right going with remoting instead of web service. am
i Timney ??

Thanks
regards
John