    is a product and that I can use regular old C++ with other compilers.
    But I want to use DirectX 8.+ and am thinking I may be just too far
    behind the times. Thank you for your opinions.

    jm, Feb 16, 2004

  2. jm wrote:
    > I have Visual Studio 6.0. I probably will not have C++.net or C#.net
    > for a while. Is it a wrong decision for me to learn to write games
    > using Visual Studio 6.0, since they have all the .net stuff now? I
    > don't want to use a language so antiquated it won't be worth taking
    > the time to learn to use it.

    I would definitely say don't use it. There are other compilers
    out on the market. I just hate supporting Microsoft when I don't
    have to.

    By the way, the C language is older than C++ and it isn't antiquated.
    The C++ language is still getting its bugs worked out. The C#
    language still has to go through its time to get the language worked
    out.

    > On the other hand, I really am confused. I realize that Visual Studio
    > is a product and that I can use regular old C++ with other compilers.
    > But I want to use DirectX 8.+ and am thinking I may be just too far
    > behind the times. Thank you for your opinions.

    Yep you are because this newsgroup doesn't discuss graphics.
    You can update your knowledge and learn to post to the correct
    newsgroups. Read the C++ FAQ and welcome.txt as listed in my
    signature.

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:

    Thomas Matthews, Feb 16, 2004

  3. jm

    Icosahedron Guest

    "jm" <> wrote in message
    > I have Visual Studio 6.0. I probably will not have C++.net or

    C#.net
    > for a while. Is it a wrong decision for me to learn to write

    games
    > using Visual Studio 6.0, since they have all the .net stuff

    now? I
    > don't want to use a language so antiquated it won't be worth

    taking
    > the time to learn to use it.
    >
    > On the other hand, I really am confused. I realize that Visual

    Studio
    > is a product and that I can use regular old C++ with other

    compilers.
    > But I want to use DirectX 8.+ and am thinking I may be just too

    far
    > behind the times. Thank you for your opinions.

    There are libraries for DirectX 8 for VC6. We use it where I
    work for some of our programmers and it works fine.

    That much said, it's not DirectX support where VC6 falls short.
    It doesn't support the full Standard Library, and it doesn't
    support many C++ features that are becoming more and more used as
    time goes on.

    For my home projects, I use MinGW with the available DirectX 9
    adaptation. It works fine. It also supports most of the C++
    features and can use the latest Boost and other libraries with
    few if any problems.

    Icosahedron, Feb 16, 2004
  4. [OT] Re: Should I NOT use Visual Studio 6.0 for programming games?

    "jm" <> wrote in message
    > I have Visual Studio 6.0. I probably will not have C++.net or C#.net
    > for a while. Is it a wrong decision for me to learn to write games
    > using Visual Studio 6.0, since they have all the .net stuff now? I
    > don't want to use a language so antiquated it won't be worth taking
    > the time to learn to use it.
    >
    > On the other hand, I really am confused. I realize that Visual Studio
    > is a product and that I can use regular old C++ with other compilers.
    > But I want to use DirectX 8.+ and am thinking I may be just too far
    > behind the times. Thank you for your opinions.

    You have to appreciate the difference between a language and a library. VS 6
    has problems with the C++ language, particularly in areas like templates. A
    question about what areas of the C++ language VS 6 is deficient in would be
    on topic in this group.

    dotNET and DirectX on the other hand are libraries (or application
    frameworks if you like) and have nothing to do with C++. I can't see any
    problem using DirectX from VS 6. Also the dotNET SDK is a free download from
    Microsoft. Questions about dotNET, DirectX etc are off topic in this group.
    Try a Microsoft group instead.

    john

    John Harrison, Feb 16, 2004