Should I?

David Dorward

Luigi said:
What about Java?
Java is used on the client side, isn´t it?

Java can be run on the server or client, but these days is more usually
found on the server (at least in a web context).
Is it not possible to send data to a data base by using Java?

Java can connect to databases.
And, as you mentioned Python, you may want to recommend a site and/or a
book about it.

The Python site has a decent tutorial. I still prefer Perl though :)

Mitja

That's just coding style. You can write obfuscated code in PHP and Perl,
and you can write clean code in both too.

That holds true for just about any language; where they differ is the
tendency towards obfuscated code. Perl's compact syntax seems easy to
abuse, but as I said I haven't actually written anything bigger in Perl,
so I'll just have to beleive you :)

Mitja

The Python site has a decent tutorial. I still prefer Perl though :)
"Decent" is just too mild a word fur such a fine tutorial/manual
combination... that tutorial made me choose Python over Perl when I was
deciding which language to use, and I've never been sorry about my choice
:)

Luigi Donatello Asero

David Dorward said:
Java can be run on the server or client, but these days is more usually
found on the server (at least in a web context).

Java can connect to databases.

But you prefer Perl to Java, don´t you?

Mitja

But you prefer Perl to Java, don´t you?

He does :)
And Perl can connect to databases as well. So can php. So can python.

Look, it doesn't matter, not that much at least. Just make up your mind
and start learning one of the widely spread languages. I guarantee they
can all do what you need, because you don't need anything special, and
providing more or less elegant solutions for all the basic tasks is what
made those languages widely spread.

"Just do it."

Luigi Donatello Asero

Mitja said:
He does :)
And Perl can connect to databases as well. So can php. So can python.

Look, it doesn't matter, not that much at least. Just make up your mind
and start learning one of the widely spread languages. I guarantee they
can all do what you need, because you don't need anything special, and
providing more or less elegant solutions for all the basic tasks is what
made those languages widely spread.

"Just do it."

I began learning php, java and php a long time ago, so it is more a question
about which one I should go on learning just now.

Mitja

I began learning php, java and php a long time ago, so it is more a
question
about which one I should go on learning just now.

As I said, they will all fit your purpose. If you tried them before, you
should know best which one you find most likable. What exactly is your
task? I'd guess Java is least handy for what you need, though I can't know.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Mitja said:
As I said, they will all fit your purpose. If you tried them before, you
should know best which one you find most likable. What exactly is your
task? I'd guess Java is least handy for what you need, though I can't
know.

I am considering to connect the website to a database to let customers
through a safe connection (https with ssl)
buy on the website http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com I am considering to buy
a qualified certified for qualified electronic signatures
and integrate it into the system so that both the website and the users (
customers) can identify themselves on the website.
I have to show that the pages of the website had a certain content at a
certain time when the customers buy something.
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com is one of the websites of my one-man
business.

Leonard Blaisdell

One of the great things about perl is that it allows (but doesn't
force) us to isolate code from markup.

Well ... Duh! I haven't worked with perl for a few years. Can it be
sprinkled through HTML as PHP is? I always called it from a CGI directive
which isolated it from markup. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Or behind the
times.

leo

Mitja

I am considering to connect the website to a database to let customers
through a safe connection (https with ssl)
buy on the website http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com I am considering to
buy a qualified certified for qualified electronic signatures
and integrate it into the system so that both the website and the users (
customers) can identify themselves on the website.
I have to show that the pages of the website had a certain content at a
certain time when the customers buy something.
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com is one of the websites of my one-man
business.

That's all basic stuff, yes, so choose whatever YOU like. At a scale like
yours, it's mainly all down to personal taste. Or you can google for
comparisons between perl, python and php and see for yourself that
opinions differ. I only recommend you not to choose Java, it doesn't allow
you to code as quickly as those listed above.

PS: If you ever get your online shop going, you are very likely to be
disappointed by the number of your online customers (i.e. hardly more than
zero).

Luigi Donatello Asero

Mitja said:
That's all basic stuff, yes, so choose whatever YOU like. At a scale like
yours, it's mainly all down to personal taste. Or you can google for
comparisons between perl, python and php and see for yourself that
opinions differ. I only recommend you not to choose Java, it doesn't allow
you to code as quickly as those listed above.

PS: If you ever get your online shop going, you are very likely to be
disappointed by the number of your online customers (i.e. hardly more than
zero).

1) do all people writing on this NG think the same as Mitja about java?
2) it may take a longer time to code in Java but the question is also
whether one may do more things in the long run.
3) you are welcome to explain your ps. further.
Do you have an online shop
going yourself?
Did you visit www.ebusinesslex.net ?
What do you thing about EU:s plans concerning e-commerce ?
What do you know about e-commerce?
Best regards
Luigi

Luigi Donatello Asero

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
users

1) do all people writing on this NG think the same as Mitja about java?
2) it may take a longer time to code in Java but the question is also
whether one may do more things in the long run.
3) you are welcome to explain your ps. further.
Do you have an online shop
going yourself?
Did you visit www.ebusinesslex.net ?
What do you thing about EU:s plans concerning e-commerce ?
What do you think about EU:s plans concerning e-commerce ?

Art Sackett

Leonard Blaisdell said:
Well ... Duh! I haven't worked with perl for a few years. Can it be
sprinkled through HTML as PHP is?

Yep, with the most common tool being embperl. Not that I consider it a
good idea unless you're using a preprocessor like WML. WML is an
awesome tool, especially if you grok both perl/embperl and m4.
I always called it from a CGI directive
which isolated it from markup. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Or behind the
times.

Perhaps I was unclear. I think that there should be no markup in code,
and no code in markup. Template engines solve the problem nicely,
allowing you to change your software without touching the markup, and
to change your markup without touching your software.

Art Sackett

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
1) do all people writing on this NG think the same as Mitja about java?

I doubt it, but I personally detest java. If I'm going to go to that
much bother, I'll use C++ and (through intelligent design) get the
speed that comes with it.
2) it may take a longer time to code in Java but the question is also
whether one may do more things in the long run.

Perl will do anything you want to do. There may be some ragged edge
cases where you might want to inline some C, but they're rare. Most of
the things that you'd want to do with inlined C are already provide in
modules, free for the taking at CPAN.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Art Sackett said:
I doubt it, but I personally detest java. If I'm going to go to that
much bother, I'll use C++ and (through intelligent design) get the
speed that comes with it.

Why do you detest it?
Perl will do anything you want to do. There may be some ragged edge
cases where you might want to inline some C, but they're rare. Most of
the things that you'd want to do with inlined C are already provide in
modules, free for the taking at CPAN.

Were you talking only about the use of java on the web or about the use of
java as whole?

Art Sackett

[Speaking of java]
Why do you detest it?

Reason number one: I detest Sun Microsystems, particularly Scott
freakin' McNealy, mainly for social/political reasons.

Reason number two: I've found that java makes easy things more
difficult than they need to be, and hard things nightmares. It's been
over six years since I really did any serious development in java, so
things might have improved dramatically in the meantime. Once bitten...

Reason number three: It ain't free.
Were you talking only about the use of java on the web or about the use of
java as whole?

As a whole.

It could just be that java and I don't play well together, perhaps due
to my heathen, bohemian ways. A lot of the javaheads I've known were
also MCSE's... no disrespect intended toward any members of that
species. It's just not a culture I can embrace.