show/hide blocks in list items

Discussion in 'HTML' started by steven, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. steven

    steven Guest

    Hi,
    sorry for the crosspost, but I'm not sure if my problem is with the HTML or
    the CSS :-(

    I have a list with in each list item a text + link which are always visible,
    and a blockquote which can be shown or hidden by clicking the link.
    Showing/hiding works, but the blockquote's margins behave a bit strange.
    I'll try to explain, though the best way to understand what happens is to go
    and see on the page itself.

    1. when I show a block with no blocks visible, I don't get the bottom margin
    I want.
    2. when I show a block with the *next block visible*, I do get the bottom
    margin (and the other block becomes hidden as it should).
    3. when I hide a block with the bottom margin present, the margin remains
    even though the block is invisible.
    4. Now I have, say, list item 3 where the blockquote is hidden, but it's
    margin is visible. The margin only disappears when I show the *next* list
    item's blockquote (4 in this case).

    I hope the description makes sense. Just tell me if it needs clarification.

    Now all this happens in FF1; even IE6 gets it right! (I mean, normally it's
    the other way around).
    Am I using the wrong structure, I mean the blockquote within the list item?
    Other stupid mistakes?
    Any help will be rewarded with eternal gratitude.

    Steven
    steven, Jan 8, 2005

  2. Hi

    I succedded by changing the style to

    position: absolute;
    visibility: hidden;

    This may help you.

    --
    _____
    New computer algebra system:

    Martin Johansen, Jan 9, 2005

  3. steven

    steven Guest

    (top post corrected)
    "Martin Johansen" <> wrote in message
    > "steven" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > sorry for the crosspost, but I'm not sure if my problem is with the HTML
    > > or
    > > the CSS :-(

    > > I have a list with in each list item a text + link which are always
    > > visible,
    > > and a blockquote which can be shown or hidden by clicking the link.
    > > Showing/hiding works, but the blockquote's margins behave a bit strange.
    > > I'll try to explain, though the best way to understand what happens is

    > > go
    > > and see on the page itself.
    > >
    > > 1. when I show a block with no blocks visible, I don't get the bottom
    > > margin
    > > I want.
    > > 2. when I show a block with the *next block visible*, I do get the

    bottom
    > > margin (and the other block becomes hidden as it should).
    > > 3. when I hide a block with the bottom margin present, the margin

    remains
    > > even though the block is invisible.
    > > 4. Now I have, say, list item 3 where the blockquote is hidden, but it's
    > > margin is visible. The margin only disappears when I show the *next*

    list
    > > item's blockquote (4 in this case).
    > >
    > > I hope the description makes sense. Just tell me if it needs
    > > clarification.
    > >
    > > Now all this happens in FF1; even IE6 gets it right! (I mean, normally
    > > it's
    > > the other way around).
    > > Am I using the wrong structure, I mean the blockquote within the list
    > > item?
    > > Other stupid mistakes?
    > > Any help will be rewarded with eternal gratitude.
    > >

    > Hi
    >
    > I succedded by changing the style to
    >
    > position: absolute;
    > visibility: hidden;
    >
    > This may help you.

    Thanks for the reply Martin.
    It doesn't seem to work though: when I add the properties to the blockquote
    style nothing happens. And when I add them to the paragraph's style, the
    margin problem remains, but the blockquote's text doesn't show, just the
    border as a thick horizontal line.
    Could you post your code? Sure it worked in *Firefox*?

    Steven
    steven, Jan 10, 2005