show/hide layer

Merlin

Hi there,

I am trying to create a form with an dynamic field that can be shown or hidden.
As I saw for example on google it is possible with JS to show a layer and move
the content underneath that layer further down uppon showing this layer. When a
person closes that layer the content underneath the layer moves up again and
closes the empty space. How is this possible?

I am playing around with some code I am posting with this thread. Could somebody
give me a small push to get closer to my goal?

Thank you in advance,

Merlin

<head>
<title>Show and Hide a Layer</title>
#boxthing { position:relative; top:0px; left:0px; width:250px; height:150px;
border:1px #000000 solid; background-color:#FF9999; padding:0.5em; }
<script type="text/javascript">

function hideLayer(whichLayer) {
if (document.getElementById) {
// this is the way the standards work
document.getElementById(whichLayer).style.visibility = "hidden";
}
else if (document.all) {
// this is the way old msie versions work
document.all[whichlayer].style.visibility = "hidden";
}
else if (document.layers) {
// this is the way nn4 works
document.layers[whichLayer].visibility = "hidden";

function showLayer(whichLayer) {
if (document.getElementById) {
// this is the way the standards work
document.getElementById(whichLayer).style.visibility = "visible";
}
else if (document.all) {
// this is the way old msie versions work
document.all[whichlayer].style.visibility = "visible";
}
else if (document.layers) {
// this is the way nn4 works
document.layers[whichLayer].visibility = "visible";

function handleClick(whichClick) {

if (whichClick == "hide it") {
// then the user wants to hide the layer
hideLayer("boxthing");

}
else if (whichClick == "show it") {
// then the user wants to show the layer
showLayer("boxthing");

</script>
</head>

tese

Dag Sunde

Merlin said:
[...]

<snipped/>

Use 'display' instead of 'visibility'...

....style.dipplay = "none";
....style.dipplay = "block";

RobG

Dag said:
Hi there,

I am trying to create a form with an dynamic field that can be shown or
hidden.
[...]

Use 'display' instead of 'visibility'...

...style.dipplay = "none";
...style.dipplay = "block";

Better to use di*s*play = '' instead of 'block':

...style.display = 'none';
...style.display = '';

Setting the display property allows it to return to the default (or
whatever has been set via CSS or whatever), and is generic for all display
property values. It is also handy where different browsers set different
defaults for some elements.

Dag Sunde

RobG said:
Dag said:
Hi there,

I am trying to create a form with an dynamic field that can be shown or
hidden.
[...]

Use 'display' instead of 'visibility'...

...style.dipplay = "none";
...style.dipplay = "block";

Better to use di*s*play = '' instead of 'block':

...style.display = 'none';
...style.display = '';

Setting the display property allows it to return to the default (or
whatever has been set via CSS or whatever), and is generic for all display
property values. It is also handy where different browsers set different
defaults for some elements.

True, I should have advised that instead...