Show me the way

Oli Filth

Kris said:
The sad thing is that those "non professional" oddbods that drift in here
actually believe they know more about this stuff than those of us who have
been doing it professionally for years.

That is because most of them do know more about it than most of the pros.
[/QUOTE]

I can only agree with that senitment. It's obvious, just pick a random
business website supposedly designed by a "professional" (individual or
company), and run it through a validator, or view it in different
browsers, or disable JS. Most will not respond well, which doesn't speak
particularly well for the talents of its "professional" designer.

DISCLAIMER: In saying this, I am *not* claiming to be any better myself.

Oli

Travis Newbury

They don't listen because there are too many sheep in the world that
will just follow along without question. How do you think MicroSoft got
so big when their products were/are so bad?

Oh, I think the media made Microsoft. I don't give Bill gates credit
for that at all. It was every one of the "windows" magazines that came
out and said every OS other than windows was pure poop. The media
killed them all off one by one. Gates was just in the right place at
that particular moment in history. But was the media that created the
empire.

The media moguls are starting to understand to what extent they really
control everything. You like what they want you to like, and you hate
what they want you to hate. As technology moves ahead, they are getting
better and better.

oh look.... something shiny...

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
and I've played some MS games
that I've really enjoyed.

I'm no big fan of MS, but their games are one thing I have really liked.

Dylan Parry

Dylan said:
It's the only thing of MS's that I still use with my
desktop PC :)

Somehow I managed to miss out an entire chunk of that last post! I
intended to say that I love my MS cordless keyboard and mouse set and
wouldn't ever want to get rid of it :\

Dylan Parry

Mark said:
I'm no big fan of MS, but their games are one thing I have really liked.

Well the games aren't actually made by MS, just published by them. It's
the same with their hardware... just stamped with the MS logo and sold
in MS packaging. It's the only thing of MS's that I still use with my
desktop PC :)

Kris

That is because most of them do know more about it than most of the pros.

I can only agree with that senitment. It's obvious, just pick a random
business website supposedly designed by a "professional" (individual or
company), and run it through a validator, or view it in different
browsers, or disable JS. Most will not respond well, which doesn't speak
particularly well for the talents of its "professional" designer.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget that "getting paid for a job" already makes one a
"professional". Not getting money for it makes you fall in the oddbods
category.

Uncle Pirate

Kris said:
Don't forget that "getting paid for a job" already makes one a
"professional". Not getting money for it makes you fall in the oddbods
category.

Too bad that there is such a difference between being *a* professional
and being professional(doing professional quality work).

I get paid for maintaining/creating web pages so I am a professional.
I'm still (always) learning so I can't really say that I am professional
(although I think I'm getting there).

Cooordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg

Neal

I get paid for maintaining/creating web pages so I am a professional.
I'm still (always) learning so I can't really say that I am professional
(although I think I'm getting there).

To me, being professional isn't so much knowing everyting as it is being
aware of what you don't know and always working toward it. Plus a lot
more, of course.

Kris

I get paid for maintaining/creating web pages so I am a professional.
I'm still (always) learning so I can't really say that I am professional
(although I think I'm getting there).

To me, being professional isn't so much knowing everyting as it is being
aware of what you don't know and always working toward it. Plus a lot
more, of course.[/QUOTE]

Modesty is definately a quality of real professionals.