Show no trail?

Jukka K. Korpela

Andries said:
Jukka,

You completely misunderstand.

I don't think so. Your failure to observe basic netiquette tends to confirm
my conjectures. Hints: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/
i'm 50 years old.

Then maybe you should stop acting like a 10-year old.
Second i don't lie.

You have described that the file is on another server and that you wish to
hide this fact, i.e. to give a false impression.
people get what they want = the zip file

You're telling us that you don't want them to know what they actually get.
I just don't want people to see where the file is.

The plausible explanation, in the absense of any other explanation from you,
is that you wish to present someone else's file as your own.

Of course, if you knew the basics of the elements of introductory HTML, you
would know that there's no way you could possibly do such things in HTML.

Toby A Inkster

William said:
ya big tease - go on, tell me which or why or what?

I was using Dillo, which doesn't send a "Referer" HTTP header. Indeed, the
Referer header is optional in HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1, so should not really
be relied upon.

There are many (especially older) browsers that don't send Referer. Opera
has allowed the Referer header to be disabled since at least version 5,
and since version 6 it's been in the Quick Prefs (F12) menu. There are
also proxies that filter it out. (Proxomitron can do this, I believe.
Squid as well.)

William Tasso

Toby said:
I was using Dillo, which doesn't send a "Referer" HTTP header.
Indeed, the Referer header is optional in HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1, so
should not really be relied upon.

Thanks - as I said elsewhere: the script does not rely on any external data.
The referrer is of no interest.
There are many (especially older) browsers that don't send Referer.
Opera has allowed the Referer header to be disabled since at least
version 5, and since version 6 it's been in the Quick Prefs (F12)
menu. There are also proxies that filter it out. (Proxomitron can do
this, I believe. Squid as well.)

I've disabled the referrer in my O7.11 and can still see the image. Must be
something else.

Toby A Inkster

William said:
Thanks - as I said elsewhere: the script does not rely on any external data.
The referrer is of no interest.

You seem to be sending the image as "text/html". It seems that that is
what Dillo balks at.

And yes, I figured out how you did it. Pretty clever, but look through
your logs for a user agent called "wget" from IP 81.2.120.180 -- it
managed to download the image without downloading the associated page.

Wipkip

William Tasso

Toby said:
You seem to be sending the image as "text/html". It seems that that is
what Dillo balks at.

Ahhh - thanks. I'll get to that.
And yes, I figured out how you did it. Pretty clever, but look through
your logs for a user agent called "wget" from IP 81.2.120.180 -- it
managed to download the image without downloading the associated page.

Cheers - I will do. I think I know what's happening - It's probably a
fixable bug or at least containable. If not, the chances of anyone finding
the url to download without having access to the containing page[1] must be
close to zero.

wget appears to missing from my toolbox - I have wfetch which I imagine is
similar. I'll find out later when I acquire wget.

I realise we have drifted some way from the OP in this thread, but I'm
grateful for all the useful feedback.

Toodle-pip.

[1] when deployed in anger the containing page is password protected.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Thu, 06 Nov 2003 21:20:48 +0000, Toby A Inkster is reported
to have stated:
And yes, I figured out how you did it.

Would either you or William care to share (via email if you prefer)? :)

I'd be interested to know - we offer a demo version of our software for
download, but I don't want to allow people to download it without filling
in the form first, and I would imagine that William's script could be
adjusted accordingly. At the moment I am using the referrer header (if the
referrer isn't the page with the form, I redirect them to the form), but as
you know, it doesn't always work. William's method obviously isn't perfect
either, but it is presumably a better solution.

I know this is getting somewhat OT here, but then again, is anything really
OT here? :)