Showing focus

sheldonlg

I have a problem with not seeing the current focus while in a particular
screen in a my app. The focus does not show for a type=text or
textarea. I have tried to reproduce this problem in a test application,
but have not been successful is doing that.

The actual app has a screen which is displayed on a template and the
contents are the return from an AJAX call. In that content there is a
hidden block. Clicking on a button in the displayed area causes that
hidden block to appear (with a gray background in a fixed location on
the screen). It is in that area that I have both text fields and text
areas. I also have dropdown lists and buttons. Only the text areas and
text fields do not display focus when there, but I can type into them so
I know that focus is there.

For my test app I copied the CSS file that I had been using and placed
my content within the same two named <div>s where the actual content
appears on the template. With this test app there is no problem. The
test app is at www.sheldonlg.com/multipleselection/multiples5.php.

I don't even know where to start looking for the problem. I did a
search in Google for "ht ml showfocus", but that wasn't much help.

Any suggestions?

(crossposted in comp.lang.javascript and alt.html)

SAM

sheldonlg a écrit :
I have a problem with not seeing the current focus while in a particular
screen in a my app. The focus does not show for a type=text or
textarea. I have tried to reproduce this problem in a test application,
but have not been successful is doing that.

The actual app has a screen which is displayed on a template and the
contents are the return from an AJAX call. In that content there is a
hidden block. Clicking on a button in the displayed area causes that
hidden block to appear (with a gray background in a fixed location on
the screen). It is in that area that I have both text fields and text
areas. I also have dropdown lists and buttons. Only the text areas and
text fields do not display focus when there, but I can type into them so
I know that focus is there.

CSS (for others than IE) :

input { background: silver }
input:focus { background: white }

HTML :

<input onfocus="if(IE) this.background='white';"
onblur="if(IE) this.background='';"
id="hiddenInput" name="Name">

JS :

IE = false; /*@cc_on IE=true; @*/

is your div styled visibity: hidden; or display: none; ?

is your div in same form that the form in rear when this div comes at
front ?

does that happens also with Firefox ?

sheldonlg

SAM said:
sheldonlg a écrit :

CSS (for others than IE) :

input { background: silver }
input:focus { background: white }

HTML :

<input onfocus="if(IE) this.background='white';"
onblur="if(IE) this.background='';"
id="hiddenInput" name="Name">

JS :

IE = false; /*@cc_on IE=true; @*/

I'll try this
is your div styled visibity: hidden; or display: none; ?

It is initially styled visibity: hidden; When an action is clicked
that needs to display it, that javascript changes the style to
visibility:visible with editBlock.style.visibility = "visible";
is your div in same form that the form in rear when this div comes at
front ?

No, a form was not needed for the complete screen since there is no
submittal anywhere. It is all with AJAX. This, though, is in its own
form in order to use the multiple selection stuff.
does that happens also with Firefox ?

I haven't even done IE. I do all my development first on Firefox
because of its tremendous developer tools.

mynameisnobodyodyssea

It is initially styled visibity: hidden; When an action is clicked
that needs to display it, that javascript changes the style to
visibility:visible with editBlock.style.visibility = "visible";

No, a form was not needed for the complete screen since there is no
submittal anywhere. It is all with AJAX. This, though, is in its own
form in order to use the multiple selection stuff.

I haven't even done IE. I do all my development first on Firefox
because of its tremendous developer tools.

Can you give an exact example,
what you type, what buttons you click
and what should happen, what should appear where, etc.

sheldonlg

Can you give an exact example,
what you type, what buttons you click
and what should happen, what should appear where, etc.

I cannot reproduce the problem on a simple app. I pointed to the simple
app (that works)
http://www.sheldonlg.com/multipleselection/multiple5.php. In the actual
app, something like this is initially hidden. Then when I click on a
link, I have javascript that makes this appear by changing the
visibility attribute to visible. At that point I can click into the
text field and enter data, but I there is no cursor to show that I am
focussed there. It should be the vertical I-beam.

sheldonlg

[...]

SAM said:
sheldonlg a écrit :

Apparently no problem with focus (Fx 2 Mac)

Correct! This is the sample app and it works. I cannot reproduce the
problem in a simple app, and I cannot point you to the actual app since
that is behind firewalls and accessible only via VPN (it is an intranet
app). If I could reproduce the problem in a simple app, I would be 3/4
of the way to a solution.

SAM

sheldonlg a écrit :
No, a form was not needed for the complete screen since there is no
submittal anywhere. It is all with AJAX.

Ajax has nothing to do about correct HTML code ... it does what you ask
to him.
This, though, is in its own
form in order to use the multiple selection stuff.

I asked that because I think IE has some difficulties with forms
displayed over another element (specialy to focus the front form's
elements).
I haven't even done IE. I do all my development first on Firefox
because of its tremendous developer tools.

Ha! ? OK .

All seems to work fine in your example.

sheldonlg

SAM said:
sheldonlg a écrit :

CSS (for others than IE) :

input { background: silver }
input:focus { background: white }

HTML :

<input onfocus="if(IE) this.background='white';"
onblur="if(IE) this.background='';"
id="hiddenInput" name="Name">

JS :

IE = false; /*@cc_on IE=true; @*/

is your div styled visibity: hidden; or display: none; ?

is your div in same form that the form in rear when this div comes at
front ?

does that happens also with Firefox ?

I tried the CSS stuff. That does what it says, but it doesn't solve my
problem. Let me more precise.

When that form comes up, the cursor everywhere is that left-up pointing
arrow. When the mouse is over a text field or a text area element, the
cursor changes to a vertical I-beam. However, the blinking vertical
line does not appear in the text field or the text area if I click on
them to set focus there. However, focus is set there as I can type in
information. I want to have that blinking vertical bar on as visual
feedback as to where the focus is.

mynameisnobodyodyssea

> When that form comes up, the cursor everywhere is that left-up pointing
arrow. When the mouse is over a text field or a text area element, the
cursor changes to a vertical I-beam. However, the blinking vertical
line does not appear in the text field or the text area if I click on
them to set focus there. However, focus is set there as I can type in
information. I want to have that blinking vertical bar on as visual
feedback as to where the focus is.

It is difficult to see what the problem is without an
exact-ish example.
Did you try, instead of changing visibility from hidden to visible,
to change with JavaScript the value of inner.HTML

sheldonlg

It is difficult to see what the problem is without an
exact-ish example.

I know. I wish I could reproduce it here.
Did you try, instead of changing visibility from hidden to visible,
to change with JavaScript the value of inner.HTML

No, there is much to much to generate to then use an innerHTML setting.

mynameisnobodyodyssea

I know. I wish I could reproduce it here.

No, there is much to much to generate to then use an innerHTML setting.

Just to state the obvious:
check for error messages in the Firefox error console,
check valid HTML, CSS etc.
I see that you use in your example tables in the form.
Maybe try the form without tables, just in case,
sometimes tables in forms can create problems.

SAM

sheldonlg a écrit :
No, there is much to much to generate to then use an innerHTML setting.

With your last test : Oll Korrect with Fx (mouse's pointer over fields)

Next test with a form in rear ?

SAM

sheldonlg a écrit :
I tried the CSS stuff. That does what it says, but it doesn't solve my
problem. Let me more precise.

When that form comes up, the cursor everywhere is that left-up pointing
arrow. When the mouse is over a text field or a text area element, the
cursor changes to a vertical I-beam.

input:hover, textarea:hover { cursor: text }

#dimensions input:hover[type=text] { cursor: text }
#dimensions input:focus[type=text] { cursor: wait }

However, the blinking vertical
line does not appear in the text field or the text area if I click on
them to set focus there.

I have no solution for that.
Overall I can't get this not blinking cursor