showing results inside an iframe

newb guy

I need to create a system that solicits votes, and then shows the vote
results. Since multiple servers are involved, I plan to use an iframe to
show vote options, and once submit is clicked on, refresh the entire page,
and also show vote results (in the same iframe).

Refreshing the entire page is a reqirement.

What is the best way to do this? Thanks.

David Dorward

newb said:
I need to create a system that solicits votes, and then shows the vote
results. Since multiple servers are involved, I plan to use an iframe to
show vote options, and once submit is clicked on, refresh the entire page,
and also show vote results (in the same iframe).

So you want different parts of a form to be provided by different servers?
It isn't possible to do this on the client. Even Javascript won't help due
to cross domain scripting security restrictions.

The best approach would be to have one server gather the questions from the
different servers and then present the user with a single page.

newb guy

Thanks, David:

I actually think I can do it with javascript (getting a bit off html
thread). Why can't the page that includes a small vote window (the 'calling
page') call an html code segment that just shows vote options, via
javascript (calling to a 'vote server'), and have the vote server capture
the ip number or cookie the client, and then redirect to the same calling
page, and then show the results by using cookie/ip address to track that the
link inside the vote window was clicked on.

David Dorward

newb said:
Thanks, David:

Please do not top post.
http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?How_to_post
I actually think I can do it with javascript (getting a bit off html
thread). Why can't the page that includes a small vote window (the
'calling page') call an html code segment that just shows vote options,
via javascript (calling to a 'vote server'), and have the vote server
capture the ip number or cookie the client, and then redirect to the same
calling page, and then show the results by using cookie/ip address to
track that the link inside the vote window was clicked on.

For the same reason that you can't open a page to Amazon.com and read the
cookie information containing the user's authentication token.