Showing some sections of a page while others are still downloading

Guest

Hi,
We have a few rather heavy pages and would like to speed up the 'perceived'
download time by rendering some sections of the page which are ready to be
shown while sill awaiting other parts of the page (e.g. which rely on longer
retrieval from a database).

How would I go about doing this? We're using ASP.net 1.1..

Many thanks for any help or advise.
Andy

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

how easy this is depends on the structure of your page. the browser parses
the html and renders it. for it to render before the structure is
downloaded, it must be simple. the parts you want display must be above
those you don't. don't dangle layout across sesctions. avoid tables, or
output the complete table. be sure to turn page buffering off, and do a
response.write of the completed sections.

you can use frames and bust the page into fast parts and slow parts. you
coudl also use an ajax approach, and have client script call back for the
slow parts and render the html.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

Thanks for the reply Bruce.
Alas the pages are quite complex but I'll take on your recommendations and
give it a go.
Cheers!