showModalDialog problem when string too long - any alternatives ?

Charles Gamble

Hi,
I am displaying a modal dialog in JScript using window.showModalDialog
passing a long string as URL - i.e. it contains variables values just
like a Get request. Problem is that string is now tool long and
showModalDialog fails. I'm aware of the DialogArguments and passing an
object to receiver but this is no good for me as the receiver needs to
access the long string in server side code and so would not know
anything about the dialogArguments class. Can anyone suggest a way for
me to show the dialog as modal and at same time get the long string into
the dialog and have the string accessable from both server side code and
client side within the dialog recever file ?

thanks.

Patrice

Whzere do you need those information. Could you pass a "handle" allowing to
retrive the info server side...

Charles Gamble

Hi Could you please ellaborate more on your idea regarding a handle - a
handle to what object are you suggesting? I need to access the string
parameter from server side code in the receiving page. This is why I
can't use the DialogArguments as this relies on the server side code
knowing about the window class which I don't believe it can becuase it
is server side. Any further help appreciated!

thanks for interest.

Patrice

Do you need these values client side ? If not you don't need to transport
those values client side. Instead you could just have client side an "ID".
This ID is used server side to retrieve those values from whatever data
store best fit your needs during the next HTTP request.

You could for example :
- store those values in one or more session variables, this is then handled
for you
- store those values in a file (likely uniquely named using as GUID), client
side you'll transmit this GUID so that on the next request you know from
which file to retrieve those data
- it could be the id of a record in the database
and so on...

It all depends on wether or not you need those data client side...

Hope it's a bit clearer...

Patrice