Shut down classic ASP?

Bruce W.1

I know how to setup an ASP.NET project and website. But I'm not clear
on how this is done with classic ASP.

I've heard people say they need to shut down ASP before they can modify
any of the files, no hot swapping like with ASP.NET. What's this all about?

And how does one create a new classic ASP website in wwwroot? Can I
just make a folder or does it also need to be registered with IIS?

Thanks for your help.

Kevin Spencer

I'm afraid I don't even understand the question. What does setting up an
ASP.Net application have to do with classic ASP? And what does creating a
new classic ASP application have to do with ASP.Net? What exactly is it that
you want to do? Forget about telling us everything you've been told; just
tell us what you're trying to do.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Curt_C [MVP]

wrong group but what that means is stopping the site in IIS (or if using
IIS6 the app pool) to release any dll locks, etc. This is only needed for
components, not pure ASP usually.
ASP should be "registered" by default, and yes, just toss in the .ASP files
into the folder. The "root" folder for the IIS App can have the global.asa
as well, but not required.

see
microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general
for more info.

Bruce W.1

Curt_C said:
wrong group but what that means is stopping the site in IIS (or if using
IIS6 the app pool) to release any dll locks, etc. This is only needed for
components, not pure ASP usually.
ASP should be "registered" by default, and yes, just toss in the .ASP files
into the folder. The "root" folder for the IIS App can have the global.asa
as well, but not required.

see
microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general
for more info.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Can you recommend a Usenet newsgroup for classic ASP? I can't seem to
find one. I suspect that this msnews.microsoft.com server used to have one.

Curt_C [MVP]

as I said already....

microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general

You must have missed it in my original reply ;}

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

Bruce W.1 said:

That makes sense. Thanks.

Can you recommend a Usenet newsgroup for classic ASP? I can't seem to
find one. I suspect that this msnews.microsoft.com server used to have
one.

Bruce W.1

Curt_C said:
as I said already....

microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general

You must have missed it in my original reply ;}

I did. Thanks again.