shut down problem during place and route.

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by sheri, Jul 10, 2007.

  1. sheri

    sheri Guest

    hi..

    I am using Quartus 2 ,6.1 version tool.When I run Place and route,my
    PC shuts down after 1 hr

    or so.

    I dont know whats the exact reason for this.Is is due to some license
    server problem?.

    or RAM problem?because my friend is using more RAM (2GB) and she does
    not face this

    problem.Both of us using the same code for Place and route.

    Please help.

    thanks in advance.
    sheri, Jul 10, 2007

  2. sheri <> writes:

    > hi..
    >
    > I am using Quartus 2 ,6.1 version tool.When I run Place and route,my
    > PC shuts down after 1 hr
    >
    > or so.

    It you PC actually shuts down, not just that the Quartus Sw stops
    running, I'd suspect an power supply problem, or something getting too
    hot from the work it's doing. Is your PC overclocked? Is it well
    cooled?

    HTH!
    Martin

    http://www.conekt.net/electronics.html
    Martin Thompson, Jul 10, 2007

  3. sheri

    Guest

    On 10 jul, 07:08, sheri <> wrote:
    > hi..
    >
    > I am using Quartus 2 ,6.1 version tool.When I run Place and route,my
    > PC shuts down after 1 hr
    >
    > or so.
    >
    > I dont know whats the exact reason for this.Is is due to some license
    > server problem?.
    >
    > or RAM problem?because my friend is using more RAM (2GB) and she does
    > not face this
    >
    > problem.Both of us using the same code for Place and route.
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > thanks in advance.

    Can you check the power management settings? Maybe your pc is
    configured to shut down after 1 hr of inactivity of the user?
    If you let your pc running for 1 hr with no applications running, does
    it shut down after 1 hr as well?

    Kind regards,

    Yves
    , Jul 10, 2007
  4. sheri

    sheri Guest

    hi..
    thanks for ur reply.
    Even I thought ,this is power supply problem and I got it
    replaced.But still the problem exists.
    I don't know about PC being over clocked.what is it? I want more
    clarification about it.

    sheri, Jul 11, 2007
  5. sheri

    sheri Guest

    hi..
    thanks for ur reply.
    The power management settings are fine.There is no issue with that.

    sheri, Jul 11, 2007
  6. sheri

    HT-Lab Guest

    "sheri" <> wrote in message
    > hi..
    > thanks for ur reply.
    > The power management settings are fine.There is no issue with that.

    Perhaps there is a memory leak in Quartus 6.1 which crashes your computer?
    If it only takes an hour to shutdown I would look at the task manager during
    that time to see what is happening to my memory/swap space usage.

    Personally I would get some extra memory and update to Quartus to 7.1-SP1
    :)

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com

    HT-Lab, Jul 11, 2007
  7. sheri <> writes:

    > hi..
    > thanks for ur reply.
    > Even I thought ,this is power supply problem and I got it
    > replaced.But still the problem exists.
    > I don't know about PC being over clocked.what is it? I want more
    > clarification about it.

    Are you running the processor faster (more GHz) than it should be?

    What about the cooling? Can you monitor the processor temperature
    while running Quartus?

    Have you run a heavy ram test (overnight)?

    Cheers,

    Martin Thompson, Jul 11, 2007