shutdown in windows

hyperbob

Hello,

1. Does anyone know how do I know when windows tries to kill my
process and what I can do to reduce the damage it will cause? Do I
have some time gap to finish the process cleanly? I understood it's
somehow related to catching the WM_CLOSE message from windows but I
couldn't find an explanation of a mechanism that allows me to do so.
My process is a background process with no gui or console window, but
I would also like to be able to do so in a console application.

2. Are there any useful general traditional techniques for making a
process be able to deal with an unclean termination, or is it
completely different for each case?

Thanks,
Bob