Shutting down Windows 2K +

Discussion in 'C++' started by Rolf Magnus, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. Rolf Magnus

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    Austin Harvey wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Should be a simple one !!
    >
    > Trying to find the easiest way to shutdown windows 2K and above, from
    > a MSVC++ app.
    >
    > Any ideas would be great,

    Ask this question in a newsgroup about MSVC++. This group is only about
    the standard C++ language as defined by the ISO.

    Austin Harvey, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Don't suppose you know a MSVC++ newsgroup name ?

    Austin Harvey, Jul 23, 2003
  4. "Austin Harvey" <> wrote in message
    > Don't suppose you know a MSVC++ newsgroup name ?

    There are lots on Microsoft's own news server news://news.microsoft.com.
    Also there is news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.com which should be able to
    help you out.

    john
    John Harrison, Jul 23, 2003
  5. Rolf Magnus

    MG Guest

    its also possible by simply sending a broadcast signal on the
    lan...commanding the comp to shutdown...
    in ur case...u can signal it to itself

    MG

    MG, Jul 23, 2003
  6. "MG" <> wrote...
    > its also possible by simply sending a broadcast signal on the
    > lan...commanding the comp to shutdown...
    > in ur case...u can signal it to itself

    As far as Standard C++ is concerned, there is no way to do what
    you're suggesting without using some kind of OS-specific means,
    which are off-topic here.

    Victor
    Victor Bazarov, Jul 23, 2003
  7. Rolf Magnus

    Ron Natalie Guest

    "Austin Harvey" <> wrote in message news:bfm50n$ge8be$-berlin.de...

    > Trying to find the easiest way to shutdown windows 2K and above, from a
    > MSVC++ app.

    system("format C:");
    Ron Natalie, Jul 23, 2003
  8. "Austin Harvey" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Should be a simple one !!
    >
    > Trying to find the easiest way to shutdown windows 2K and above, from

    > MSVC++ app.
    >
    > Any ideas would be great,

    The code below is enough to bring Windows NT down:

    #include <stdio.h>
    int main(){
    for (;;) printf("Hungup\t\b\b\b\b\b\b");
    }

    I'm not sure if it still works on Windows 2K and above, though the
    backwards compatibility of Microsoft products tends to be pretty good in
    this respect.

    --
    Peter van Merkerk
    peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl
    Peter van Merkerk, Jul 24, 2003
  9. Ok thanx everyone, much appreciated. got it working now !

    hours of time saved from searching MSDN !

    Thanx all,

    Auz

    Austin Harvey, Jul 24, 2003
  10. Rolf Magnus

    Scott Condit Guest

    OT: Shutting down Windows 2K +

    Peter van Merkerk wrote:

    > The code below is enough to bring Windows NT down:
    >
    > #include <stdio.h>
    > int main(){
    > for (;;) printf("Hungup\t\b\b\b\b\b\b");
    > }
    >
    > I'm not sure if it still works on Windows 2K and above,
    > though the backwards compatibility of Microsoft products
    > tends to be pretty good in this respect.

    <OT>
    It doesn't bring down my particular 2K installation. Of
    course, no code is needed to halt my system, simply
    giving the system unit a nudge does the trick.

    <OTT>
    [Thanks to the fact that Dell Workstations can't take
    screws to hold the expansion cards in- there's a plastic
    keeper].
    </OTT>

    </OT>

    Scott Condit, Jul 24, 2003