Shutting down Windows 2K +

Rolf Magnus

Austin said:
Hi all,

Should be a simple one !!

Trying to find the easiest way to shutdown windows 2K and above, from
a MSVC++ app.

Any ideas would be great,

Ask this question in a newsgroup about MSVC++. This group is only about
the standard C++ language as defined by the ISO.

Austin Harvey

Hi all,

Should be a simple one !!

Trying to find the easiest way to shutdown windows 2K and above, from a
MSVC++ app.

Any ideas would be great,

Cheers,

Auz.

Austin Harvey

Don't suppose you know a MSVC++ newsgroup name ?

Rolf Magnus said:
Ask this question in a newsgroup about MSVC++. This group is only about
the standard C++ language as defined by the ISO.

John Harrison

Austin Harvey said:
Don't suppose you know a MSVC++ newsgroup name ?

There are lots on Microsoft's own news server news://news.microsoft.com.
Also there is which should be able to
help you out.

john

MG

its also possible by simply sending a broadcast signal on the
lan...commanding the comp to shutdown...
in ur case...u can signal it to itself

MG

Victor Bazarov

MG said:
its also possible by simply sending a broadcast signal on the
lan...commanding the comp to shutdown...
in ur case...u can signal it to itself

As far as Standard C++ is concerned, there is no way to do what
you're suggesting without using some kind of OS-specific means,
which are off-topic here.

Victor

Peter van Merkerk

Austin Harvey said:
Hi all,

Should be a simple one !!

Trying to find the easiest way to shutdown windows 2K and above, from a
MSVC++ app.

Any ideas would be great,

The code below is enough to bring Windows NT down:

#include <stdio.h>
int main(){
for (;;) printf("Hungup\t\b\b\b\b\b\b");
}

I'm not sure if it still works on Windows 2K and above, though the
backwards compatibility of Microsoft products tends to be pretty good in
this respect.

Austin Harvey

Ok thanx everyone, much appreciated. got it working now !

hours of time saved from searching MSDN !

Thanx all,

Auz

Scott Condit

Peter said:
The code below is enough to bring Windows NT down:

#include <stdio.h>
int main(){
for (;;) printf("Hungup\t\b\b\b\b\b\b");
}

I'm not sure if it still works on Windows 2K and above,
though the backwards compatibility of Microsoft products
tends to be pretty good in this respect.

<OT>
It doesn't bring down my particular 2K installation. Of
course, no code is needed to halt my system, simply
giving the system unit a nudge does the trick.

<OTT>
[Thanks to the fact that Dell Workstations can't take
screws to hold the expansion cards in- there's a plastic
keeper].
</OTT>

</OT>