    pass on any comments.

    Thanks
    Alex
    Alex Dutton, Oct 15, 2004

  2. Alex Dutton

    Karl Core Guest

    "Alex Dutton" <> wrote in message
    news:mxUbd.163$...
    > Hi
    >
    > Please look at www.easy-putt.com and have a look at the right hand side
    > and
    > you will see that the side bar is not aligned, I have been looking at the
    > code for ages now and can't seem to work it out, can someone please look
    > and
    > pass on any comments.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Alex

    Do it over.
    This time without abusing tables, ridiculous spacer images, and deprecated
    markup.
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...atically)&doctype=(detect automatically)&ss=1

    -Karl
    Karl Core, Oct 15, 2004

  3. Alex Dutton

    Aceicol Guest

    Urmmm Not really what I asked but I am always willing for advice.

    How do I go about setting leftmargin and topmargin to Zero though if they
    aren't valid attributes. Also the fact that it doesn't recognise the Link
    element, how else would I go about linking my stylesheet.

    I read a HTML book and it suggested that the way to design a page was with a
    table, I didn't think that I had done anything out of the ordinary as far as
    tables are concerned.

    Thanks
    Alex
    "Karl Core" <> wrote in message

    > "Alex Dutton" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Please look at www.easy-putt.com and have a look at the right hand side
    > > and
    > > you will see that the side bar is not aligned, I have been looking at

    the
    > > code for ages now and can't seem to work it out, can someone please look
    > > and
    > > pass on any comments.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Alex

    > Do it over.
    > This time without abusing tables, ridiculous spacer images, and deprecated
    > markup.

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.easy-putt.com/&charset=
    %28detect+automatically%29&doctype=%28detect+automatically%29&ss=1

    Aceicol, Oct 15, 2004
  4. Alex Dutton

    Karl Core Guest

    "Aceicol" <> wrote in message
    > "Karl Core" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Alex Dutton" <> wrote in message
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > Please look at www.easy-putt.com and have a look at the right hand side
    >> > and
    >> > you will see that the side bar is not aligned, I have been looking at

    > the
    >> > code for ages now and can't seem to work it out, can someone please
    >> > look
    >> > and
    >> > pass on any comments.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> > Alex

    >> Do it over.
    >> This time without abusing tables, ridiculous spacer images, and
    >> deprecated
    >> markup.
    >>

    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.easy-putt.com/&charset=
    > %28detect+automatically%29&doctype=%28detect+automatically%29&ss=1
    >>
    >> -Karl
    >>

    > Urmmm Not really what I asked but I am always willing for advice.
    >
    > How do I go about setting leftmargin and topmargin to Zero though if they
    > aren't valid attributes. Also the fact that it doesn't recognise the Link
    > element, how else would I go about linking my stylesheet.
    >
    > I read a HTML book and it suggested that the way to design a page was with
    > table, I didn't think that I had done anything out of the ordinary as far
    > as
    > tables are concerned.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Alex

    First, please do not top-post.
    Second, please visit the FAQ - http://www.html-faq.com/faq.php and
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl
    Third, do not read books that recommend using tables for anything other than
    tabular data. Tables are intended to hold items which are data, such as
    addresses, etc. They are not intended to be used to position elements of
    content.
    Since it appears that you are new, you're exempted from ridicule on this
    one, but it would also be a good opportunity to learn the right way. CSS is
    what you should be using to dictate presentation. HTML is intended to define
    the content.

    These oughta get you started.

    http://www.w3schools.com/css
    http://glish.com/css/
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts
    http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/
    http://www.csszengarden.com/
    http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/
    http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/boxes.html

    -Karl
    Karl Core, Oct 15, 2004
  5. Alex Dutton

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Alex Dutton said:

    > Please look at http://www.easy-putt.com

    if i didn't have weeeeeeee! i would have said "got sick of waiting for
    it to download and left".

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 15, 2004
  6. Alex Dutton

    rf Guest

    Alex Dutton

    > Hi
    >
    > Please look at www.easy-putt.com and have a look at the right hand side

    and
    > you will see that the side bar is not aligned, I have been looking at the
    > code for ages now and can't seem to work it out, can someone please look

    and
    > pass on any comments.

    It's the peekaboo bug. Google for it.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 15, 2004
  7. Alex Dutton

    Lois Guest

    "Aceicol" asked:
    : How do I go about setting leftmargin and topmargin to Zero though if they
    : aren't valid attributes.

    With CSS:

    body {margin: 0px;}

    Lois
    Lois, Oct 16, 2004
  8. Alex Dutton

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <mxUbd.163$>,
    says...
    > Please look at www.easy-putt.com and have a look at the right hand side and
    > you will see that the side bar is not aligned, I have been looking at the
    > code for ages now and can't seem to work it out, can someone please look and
    > pass on any comments.

    If your dead set on that design, it could easily be done with divs. 3
    divs, each with a background image. The middle divs background should
    have no corners so it repeats. This is where your text goes. The best
    advice for you would be to spend about an hour reading at
    www.w3schools.com.
    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free
    WebcastMaker, Oct 16, 2004
  9. Alex Dutton

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Lois wrote:

    > body {margin: 0px;}

    Don't forget padding:0!

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./ryan_adams/rock_n_roll/10_rock_n_roll.ogg
    Toby Inkster, Oct 16, 2004
  10. While the city slept, Toby Inkster ()
    feverishly typed...

    > Don't forget padding:0!

    Aahh yes... who could forget "padding:0"?? ...... Good old
    "padding:0"........ ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    nice.guy.nige, Oct 16, 2004
  11. Alex Dutton

    Neal Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 18:28:10 +0100, nice.guy.nige
    <> wrote:

    > While the city slept, Toby Inkster ()
    > feverishly typed...
    >
    >> Don't forget padding:0!

    > Aahh yes... who could forget "padding:0"?? ...... Good old
    > "padding:0"........ ;-)

    So long as you don't forget Poland...

    /usa political reference
    Neal, Oct 16, 2004