    Which certification authority would you recommend ? the cheapest ?

    thanks
    , Apr 1, 2007

  2. wrote:
    >I have a signed applet (signed myself with jarsigner.exe).
    >It works fine but the users get a warning message before accepting the
    >applet to execute.

    So is that (fine).

    >Next step, is to have my certificate trusted by Verisign or other
    >third party.

    Note that although the warning message might be slightly
    different, the end user will still be warned, and asked to accept,
    a fully verified security certificate, before the applet is trusted.

    >Do you know any link to a site that would explain the procedure to
    >follow in details ?
    >Which certification authority would you recommend ? the cheapest ?

    Thawte offers a 'FreeMail' certificate. I have not gone
    through the process, but it is supposedly completely
    free.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson via JavaKB.com, Apr 2, 2007

    Re: certification authority

    As to applet, Thawte does not seem free at all to me (200$ / year !!).
    http://www.thawte.com/ssl-digital-certificates/code-signing/index.html

    None of you have gone through the process of having an applet
    authentificated by a third party certifiaction authority (to assure
    the integrity and authorship of the code) ?
    I am looking for feedback on that process..

    thanks
    , Apr 2, 2007
  4. Re: certification authority

    wrote:
    >As to applet, Thawte does not seem free at all to me (200$ / year !!).
    >http://www.thawte.com/ssl-digital-certificates/code-signing/index.html

    A search on 'thawte freemail' should lead you to a different page
    http://www.thawte.com/secure-email/personal-email-certificates/
    One person who ..used to poast around these groups got
    one of those for code signing, but I almost prefer the self-signed
    certificate to one that says (AFAIR) 'Thawte Freemail..' and no
    name of the actual code signer.

    >None of you have gone through the process of having an applet
    >authentificated by a third party certifiaction authority (to assure
    >the integrity and authorship of the code) ?

    Authorites like Thawte never glance at code.
    They verify *you*.

    >I am looking for feedback on that process..

    Sorry. I have no experience in that process, I
    have always used self-signed certificates.

    What does the code do, that requires extra
    privileges? (e.g. File access, network access..).

    Andrew Thompson via JavaKB.com, Apr 2, 2007