Signing an applet

Discussion in 'Java' started by emf, Dec 13, 2013.

  1. emf

    emf Guest

    I am trying to understand how to self-sign an applet. I've already
    checked websites that provide directions, but unfortunately I realized
    that my relevant knowledge is too limited to start understanding what
    they are talking about, so I post here hoping I'll get some help to get
    me started.

    From what I've read so far I realized I needed JDK, so I've already
    installed it. (BTW, I also use Eclipse.)

    Now, in

    http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lsiden/tutorials/signed-applet/signed-applet.html

    under "How To Create a Signed Applet"

    I believe I have completed step 1, as you can see in my webpage

    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/jv/nataltransits.html

    So we come to step 2. It starts:

    ============
    Create a public/private key pair. The command for this is

    keytool -genkey
    ============

    My initial question is: Where do I enter this command?

    Alternatively, and probably even better, is there a webpage I have
    missed that provides step by step instructions that an amateur java
    programmer with my level of ignorance can understand?

    Thanks,

    emf

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/bd/itaintmebabe.html
    emf, Dec 13, 2013

  2. emf

    Stefan Ram Guest

    emf <> writes:
    >My initial question is: Where do I enter this command?

    Into the text command prompt (sometimes called "shell") of
    your operating system. Additional requirements might apply
    such as having a command search path set up properly. This
    is explained in the operating system literature, usually
    separate from Java literature. A manual might already be
    part of your operating system.

    >Alternatively, and probably even better, is there a webpage I have
    >missed that provides step by step instructions that an amateur java
    >programmer with my level of ignorance can understand?

    Search for tutorials or text books about your operating systems,
    especially text commands and batch files, check out information
    about the search path for commands. Knowledge out this kind
    always comes in handy for both users and programmers.
    Stefan Ram, Dec 13, 2013

  3. emf

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    <http://www.cert.org/blogs/certcc/2013/09/signed_java_applet_security_im.html>
    Jeff Higgins, Dec 13, 2013
  4. emf

    emf Guest

    On 2013-12-13 08:52 Stefan Ram wrote:
    > emf <> writes:
    >> My initial question is: Where do I enter this command?

    > Into the text command prompt (sometimes called "shell") of
    > your operating system. Additional requirements might apply
    > such as having a command search path set up properly. This
    > is explained in the operating system literature, usually
    > separate from Java literature. A manual might already be
    > part of your operating system.
    >
    >> Alternatively, and probably even better, is there a webpage I have
    >> missed that provides step by step instructions that an amateur java
    >> programmer with my level of ignorance can understand?

    > Search for tutorials or text books about your operating systems,
    > especially text commands and batch files, check out information
    > about the search path for commands. Knowledge out this kind
    > always comes in handy for both users and programmers.

    Sorry, I did not make myself clear: I am looking for step by step
    instructions. I have taken 2 classes on Java programming (and a long
    time ago a class on DOS), and I do not intend in the near future to get
    more classes. There should be some webpage out there that provides the
    information I asked the way I asked.

    emf

    emf, Dec 13, 2013
  5. emf

    emf Guest

    On 2013-12-13 09:52 Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > On 12/13/2013 08:40 AM, emf wrote:
    >> I am trying to understand how to self-sign an applet.

    > <http://www.cert.org/blogs/certcc/2013/09/signed_java_applet_security_im.html>

    Useless for what I asked and need. And, BTW, I had already come across
    this webpage.

    emf

    --
    Date Calculator with all-purpose JS code
    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/js/dateCalculator.html
    emf, Dec 13, 2013
  6. emf

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 12/13/2013 10:11 AM, emf wrote:

    > There should be some webpage out there that provides the
    > information I asked the way I asked.

    There is. Keep looking.
    Jeff Higgins, Dec 13, 2013
  7. emf

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 12/13/2013 10:12 AM, emf wrote:
    > On 2013-12-13 09:52 Jeff Higgins wrote:
    >> On 12/13/2013 08:40 AM, emf wrote:
    >>> I am trying to understand how to self-sign an applet.

    >> <http://www.cert.org/blogs/certcc/2013/09/signed_java_applet_security_im.html>
    >>

    > Useless for what I asked and need. And, BTW, I had already come across
    > this webpage.

    That's one way to advertise your miserable web presence.
    Jeff Higgins, Dec 13, 2013
  8. emf

    Stefan Ram Guest

    emf <> writes:
    >more classes. There should be some webpage out there that provides the
    >information I asked the way I asked.

    To sign a jar file:

    create a key pair in user.home/.keystore:

    keytool -genkey

    create a self-signed certificate:

    keytool -selfcert

    jarsigner example.jar mykey

    check the result:

    jarsigner -verify -certs -verbose example.jar
    Stefan Ram, Dec 13, 2013
  9. emf

    emf Guest

    On 2013-12-13 10:27 lipska the kat wrote:
    > On 13/12/13 15:11, emf wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Into the text command prompt (sometimes called "shell") of
    >>> your operating system. Additional requirements might apply
    >>> such as having a command search path set up properly. This
    >>> is explained in the operating system literature, usually
    >>> separate from Java literature. A manual might already be
    >>> part of your operating system.

    >>> Search for tutorials or text books about your operating systems,
    >>> especially text commands and batch files, check out information
    >>> about the search path for commands. Knowledge out this kind
    >>> always comes in handy for both users and programmers.

    >> Sorry, I did not make myself clear: I am looking for step by step
    >> instructions. I have taken 2 classes on Java programming (and a long
    >> time ago a class on DOS), and I do not intend in the near future to get
    >> more classes. There should be some webpage out there that provides the
    >> information I asked the way I asked.
    >>
    >> emf
    >>

    > From
    > http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lsiden/tutorials/signed-applet/signed-applet.html
    >

    > How To Create a Signed Applet
    >
    > 1. Package the applet into a JAR file. The applet must be in a JAR file
    > before a certificate can be attached to it. Use the jar JDK utility. If
    > the applet was previously referenced with the help of a codebase
    > attribute in <applet> tag, replace the codebase attribute with the
    > archive attribute. The value of the archive attribute is a URL of a JAR
    > file.
    >
    > 2. Create a public/private key pair. The command for this is
    >
    > keytool -genkey
    >
    > keytool is another SDK utility.

    I opened the Command Prompt and navigated to the folder. OK so far.

    It will prompt you for a password to
    > your keystore and for the remaining parameters, one of which is alias,
    > whose value is the name of the key. The keystore is a file that contains
    > your public/private key-pairs, and the public-keys of others with whom
    > you exchange information. See the documentation in the above link.

    OK so far. I entered the password and the remaining parameters. Now,
    where is the keystore? I do not see it in the bin folder. And I am not
    sure which link it refers to.

    Things are moving a little.

    Thanks,

    emf

    --
    Natal Transits Calculator
    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/jv/nataltransits.html
    emf, Dec 13, 2013
  10. emf

    Hiram Hunt Guest

    On 12/14/2013 12:11 AM, Wayne wrote:

    > 3) Create a UTF-8 text file (let's call it MyAppetManifest.txt)
    > with these three lines in it:
    >
    > Permissions: all-permissions
    > Codebase: localhost 127.0.0.1
    > Application-Name: My Applet
    >
    > Make sure each line ends with an NEWLINE (the Enter key).
    > A common error is to forget to hit Enter after that last line.
    > Currently (Java 7U45), the default is to run unsigned applets
    > in the sandbox, and signed applets with all permissions. So
    > the Permissions entry probably isn't needed. However, the default
    > has changed in the past and may change again, so including this
    > line seems a good idea to me. If your applet doesn't require
    > extra permissions, change "app-permissions" to "sandbox".

    This seems relevant to the "may change again" part:

    https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/entry/signing_applet_code_does_not

    Sorry about the link getting split across lines. I am
    having trouble finding an option to make my news reader
    stop that.

    -- Hiram Hunt ()
    Hiram Hunt, Dec 14, 2013
  11. emf

    Hiram Hunt Guest

    On 12/14/2013 9:32 AM, Hiram Hunt wrote:
    > Sorry about the link getting split across lines. I am
    > having trouble finding an option to make my news reader
    > stop that.

    Sorry about the "sorry." The line split was just an
    artifact on my end.

    -- Hiram Hunt ()
    Hiram Hunt, Dec 14, 2013
  12. emf

    Joerg Meier Guest

    On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 09:39:15 -0500, Hiram Hunt wrote:

    > On 12/14/2013 9:32 AM, Hiram Hunt wrote:
    >> Sorry about the link getting split across lines. I am
    >> having trouble finding an option to make my news reader
    >> stop that.

    > Sorry about the "sorry." The line split was just an
    > artifact on my end.

    If you surround a link with < >, usenet clients usually understand not to
    split it, like so:

    <http://www.verylonglink.com/sdjfhsdkljfhsdkjfhsdkjlfhsdlkjfhsdkjlfhsdkjfhsdkjfhsdkfjsdhfkjsdhlfkjsdhfskdjfhsdjkfhkjsd>

    Liebe Gruesse,
    Joerg

    ungelesen.
    Joerg Meier, Dec 14, 2013
  13. On 12/13/2013 10:12 AM, emf wrote:
    > On 2013-12-13 09:52 Jeff Higgins wrote:
    >> On 12/13/2013 08:40 AM, emf wrote:
    >>> I am trying to understand how to self-sign an applet.

    >> <http://www.cert.org/blogs/certcc/2013/09/signed_java_applet_security_im.html>

    > Useless for what I asked and need.

    Not what you asked for but still relevant.

    > And, BTW, I had already come across
    > this webpage.

    Maybe Jeff's crystal ball that is supposed to tell him what pages
    you have already found is not working properly.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 14, 2013
  14. On 12/13/2013 10:11 AM, emf wrote:
    > On 2013-12-13 08:52 Stefan Ram wrote:
    >> emf <> writes:
    >>> My initial question is: Where do I enter this command?

    >> Into the text command prompt (sometimes called "shell") of
    >> your operating system. Additional requirements might apply
    >> such as having a command search path set up properly. This
    >> is explained in the operating system literature, usually
    >> separate from Java literature. A manual might already be
    >> part of your operating system.
    >>
    >>> Alternatively, and probably even better, is there a webpage I have
    >>> missed that provides step by step instructions that an amateur java
    >>> programmer with my level of ignorance can understand?

    >> Search for tutorials or text books about your operating systems,
    >> especially text commands and batch files, check out information
    >> about the search path for commands. Knowledge out this kind
    >> always comes in handy for both users and programmers.

    > Sorry, I did not make myself clear: I am looking for step by step
    > instructions.

    You already got those. You posted link and quoted
    part of it in your original post.

    The reason why it is not clear to this is that you are not
    familiar with the environment that you work in.

    It makes sense to study how to work in that environment.

    And anyway given that you did not tell what environment you are
    working in, then it almost the only possible advice.

    > There should be some webpage out there that provides the
    > information I asked the way I asked.

    Maybe.

    But you are probably the only one that can recognize that
    web page as being so.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 14, 2013
  15. emf

    emf Guest

    On 2013-12-14 00:11 Wayne wrote:
    > On 12/13/2013 8:40 AM, emf wrote:
    >> I am trying to understand how to self-sign an applet. I've already checked websites
    >> that provide directions, but unfortunately I realized that my relevant knowledge is
    >> too limited to start understanding what they are talking about, so I post here hoping
    >> I'll get some help to get me started.

    > To sign a jar file:
    >
    > Part I: Create an unsigned applet that just needs to be signed to work:

    That was quite an interesting article. I have to read again more
    carefully. The impression, however, that I have gotten so far is that
    there have been serious security problems with Java applets, to have
    them sign by an official authority is expensive, and that instead of
    having the applet embedded in the webpage probably a better idea is to
    have the visitor choose to download the jar file on his desktop, and
    open the applet by clicking on it. Is my impression wrong?

    emf

    --
    Natal Transits Calculator
    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/jv/nataltransits.html
    emf, Dec 15, 2013
  16. On 12/15/2013 12:04 AM, emf wrote:
    > On 2013-12-14 00:11 Wayne wrote:
    >> On 12/13/2013 8:40 AM, emf wrote:
    >>> I am trying to understand how to self-sign an applet. I've already
    >>> checked websites
    >>> that provide directions, but unfortunately I realized that my
    >>> relevant knowledge is
    >>> too limited to start understanding what they are talking about, so I
    >>> post here hoping
    >>> I'll get some help to get me started.

    >> To sign a jar file:
    >>
    >> Part I: Create an unsigned applet that just needs to be signed to work:

    > That was quite an interesting article. I have to read again more
    > carefully. The impression, however, that I have gotten so far is that
    > there have been serious security problems with Java applets,

    Yes - there has been found a lot of those the last couple of years.

    > to have
    > them sign by an official authority is expensive,

    Depends on the definition of expensive.

    :)

    > and that instead of
    > having the applet embedded in the webpage probably a better idea is to
    > have the visitor choose to download the jar file on his desktop, and
    > open the applet by clicking on it. Is my impression wrong?

    It is a lot simpler.

    But note that you are moving from a deployment model where
    there may be holes int he sandbox security model to a model
    with no sandbox at all, and from a web page model to a
    desktop app model.

    If you really need a signed applet in the first place, then
    switching to a desktop app may not meet requirements.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 15, 2013
  17. emf

    emf Guest

    On 2013-12-15 09:53 Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > On 12/15/2013 12:04 AM, emf wrote:
    >>>
    >>> To sign a jar file:
    >>>
    >>> Part I: Create an unsigned applet that just needs to be signed to work:

    >> That was quite an interesting article. I have to read again more
    >> carefully. The impression, however, that I have gotten so far is that
    >> there have been serious security problems with Java applets,

    > Yes - there has been found a lot of those the last couple of years.
    >
    >> them sign by an official authority is expensive,

    > Depends on the definition of expensive.
    >
    > :)
    >
    >> and that instead of
    >> having the applet embedded in the webpage probably a better idea is to
    >> have the visitor choose to download the jar file on his desktop, and
    >> open the applet by clicking on it. Is my impression wrong?

    > It is a lot simpler.
    >
    > But note that you are moving from a deployment model where
    > there may be holes int he sandbox security model to a model
    > with no sandbox at all, and from a web page model to a
    > desktop app model.
    >
    > If you really need a signed applet in the first place, then
    > switching to a desktop app may not meet requirements.
    >
    > Arne

    When I first tried to deploy the applet on a webpage, I was surprised
    that there was a security risk, and so I had to use a different method
    from the one in the textbook to read the data file to fill in the array.

    However, there is a better solution: JavaScript. The reason I had chosen
    Java for this program was because I wanted it to read a long text (csv)
    file. But then I thought why not make the csv a js file, containing an
    long array[54786][3]. I'll restrict the JavaScript program to the 2
    significant planets, so the js file starts with

    var ephem = [["19000101","27i43","10i08"], ["19000102",...

    instead of

    19000101,01i08,27i43,10i08,25c13,15c15
    19990102,...

    No security problem whatsoever. The 2 planets js file is smaller then
    the 5 planets csv, but the jar file is even smaller, so I'll be looking
    to see if it is already possible to use a zipped js file, otherwise the
    js will have to do as is. And I will have a link to the jar file with
    the 5 planets transits for those who are interested and trust me.

    They have been extending JavaScript a lot. If Oracle is phasing out
    applets as I've heard, JavaScript will be even more important for the
    web that it is right now.

    emf

    --
    Google's top Spherical Triangle Calculator search result!
    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/js/spherical.html
    emf, Dec 17, 2013
  18. On 12/17/2013 5:40 PM, emf wrote:
    > On 2013-12-15 09:53 Arne Vajhøj wrote:

    >>> That was quite an interesting article. I have to read again more
    >>> carefully. The impression, however, that I have gotten so far is that
    >>> there have been serious security problems with Java applets,

    >> Yes - there has been found a lot of those the last couple of years.
    >>
    >>> them sign by an official authority is expensive,

    >> Depends on the definition of expensive.
    >>
    >> :)
    >>
    >>> and that instead of
    >>> having the applet embedded in the webpage probably a better idea is to
    >>> have the visitor choose to download the jar file on his desktop, and
    >>> open the applet by clicking on it. Is my impression wrong?

    >> It is a lot simpler.
    >>
    >> But note that you are moving from a deployment model where
    >> there may be holes int he sandbox security model to a model
    >> with no sandbox at all, and from a web page model to a
    >> desktop app model.
    >>
    >> If you really need a signed applet in the first place, then
    >> switching to a desktop app may not meet requirements.

    > When I first tried to deploy the applet on a webpage, I was surprised
    > that there was a security risk, and so I had to use a different method
    > from the one in the textbook to read the data file to fill in the array.
    >
    > However, there is a better solution: JavaScript. The reason I had chosen
    > Java for this program was because I wanted it to read a long text (csv)
    > file. But then I thought why not make the csv a js file, containing an
    > long array[54786][3]. I'll restrict the JavaScript program to the 2
    > significant planets, so the js file starts with
    >
    > var ephem = [["19000101","27i43","10i08"], ["19000102",...
    >
    > instead of
    >
    > 19000101,01i08,27i43,10i08,25c13,15c15
    > 19990102,...
    >
    > No security problem whatsoever. The 2 planets js file is smaller then
    > the 5 planets csv, but the jar file is even smaller, so I'll be looking
    > to see if it is already possible to use a zipped js file, otherwise the
    > js will have to do as is. And I will have a link to the jar file with
    > the 5 planets transits for those who are interested and trust me.

    As long as the CSV files are served from the same server as the JS, then
    the JS should be able to retrieve and parse the CSV using
    XmlHttpRequest.

    > They have been extending JavaScript a lot. If Oracle is phasing out
    > applets as I've heard, JavaScript will be even more important for the
    > web that it is right now.

    I don't think Oracle is really changing anything regarding applets.
    Applets has not been mainstream for more than a decade.

    And JavaScript does not care. It is already 10000 more widely used
    than Java applets.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 17, 2013
  19. On 12/18/2013 7:08 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    8<

    > I don't think Oracle is really changing anything regarding applets.

    In order to cater for the inadequacies and introduced vulnerabilities of
    WebStart and JNLP Oracle have knee-jerked their way into destroying the
    sandboxed paradigm and made Applets almost impossible to activate
    without reciting some incantation while waving a dead chicken over your
    head :-(

    For example: -
    https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/entry/liveconnect_changes_in_7u45

    > Applets has not been mainstream for more than a decade.

    Unless your eyes are open and can see websockets and worker-threads are
    a joke and you have an appreciation of the power of Java on the client.

    > And JavaScript does not care. It is already 10000 more widely used
    > than Java applets.

    Cheese definitely is used a lot more than chalk. Or "Why use a
    screw-driver when you have a perfectly good hammer?"

    > Arne

    Cheers Richard Maher.

    BTW. I think the interesting one to watch will be Chrome's threatened
    removal of the NPAPI in 2014.

    http://blog.chromium.org/2013/09/saying-goodbye-to-our-old-friend-npapi.html

    Google, Apple, and Microsoft know how powerful the Java plugin is. Just
    a shame Oracle doesn't.

    Richard Maher, Dec 21, 2013
  20. emf

    emf Guest

    On 2013-12-20 19:35 Richard Maher wrote:
    > On 12/18/2013 7:08 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > 8<
    >

    >> I don't think Oracle is really changing anything regarding applets.

    > In order to cater for the inadequacies and introduced vulnerabilities of
    > WebStart and JNLP Oracle have knee-jerked their way into destroying the
    > sandboxed paradigm and made Applets almost impossible to activate
    > without reciting some incantation while waving a dead chicken over your
    > head :-(
    >
    > For example: -
    > https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/entry/liveconnect_changes_in_7u45
    >

    >> Applets has not been mainstream for more than a decade.

    > Unless your eyes are open and can see websockets and worker-threads are
    > a joke and you have an appreciation of the power of Java on the client.
    >

    >> And JavaScript does not care. It is already 10000 more widely used
    >> than Java applets.

    > Cheese definitely is used a lot more than chalk. Or "Why use a
    > screw-driver when you have a perfectly good hammer?"
    >

    >> Arne

    > Cheers Richard Maher.
    >
    > BTW. I think the interesting one to watch will be Chrome's threatened
    > removal of the NPAPI in 2014.
    >
    > http://blog.chromium.org/2013/09/saying-goodbye-to-our-old-friend-npapi.html
    >

    > Google, Apple, and Microsoft know how powerful the Java plugin is. Just
    > a shame Oracle doesn't.

    I rewrote the program in JavaScript and now it runs perfectly without
    any warnings. And it looks even better, since with Unicode I am able to
    use symbols, while with Java that was problematic:

    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/nt/nataltransits.html

    emf

    emf, Dec 31, 2013