    conference rooms in our office you see :eek:).

    Also, is there a place I could get some neat, good quality pics of the python ?

    - steve
    Steve, May 16, 2006

  2. Steve

    John D Salt Guest

    Steve <> wrote in
    news:e4c59e$tqg$:

    > umm, was just wondering, does the python mascot have a name ?

    I always assumed it was Monty, but I confess to not having the slightest
    factual basis for this belief.

    All the best,

    John.
    John D Salt, May 16, 2006

  3. John D Salt wrote:
    > Steve <> wrote in
    >

    >> umm, was just wondering, does the python mascot have a name ?
    >>

    > I always assumed it was Monty, but I confess to not having the slightest
    > factual basis for this belief.

    To be honest, Monty really makes the most sense to me for a mascot
    name... now if we can only get past all that damn copyright infringement ;)

    --

    Carl J. Van Arsdall

    Build and Release
    MontaVista Software
    Carl J. Van Arsdall, May 16, 2006
  4. Steve

    Guest

    Carl> To be honest, Monty really makes the most sense to me for a mascot
    Carl> name... now if we can only get past all that damn copyright
    Carl> infringement ;)

    My dad's nickname was Monty. Some friends of my son, Chris, call him Monty
    as well. I doubt either of them would object. (Dad's gone, Chris does a
    little Python programming from time-to-time.) I say go for it...

    Skip (Montanaro)
    , May 16, 2006
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    John D Salt wrote:
    > Steve <> wrote in
    >
    >> umm, was just wondering, does the python mascot have a name ?

    > I always assumed it was Monty, but I confess to not having the slightest
    > factual basis for this belief.

    Well, so Monty it is ! ...btw, did you know, the Camel
    (http://dev.perl.org/perl6/rfc/343.html) doesn't have a name either ? ...looks
    like Duke (http://www.java.com/en/dukeszone/) is the only dude with a name
    ....but then duke is not an animal (wtf is it ?), so it had to be called something !

    Regards
    Steve
    Steve, May 16, 2006
  6. Steve wrote:

    > Well, so Monty it is ! ...btw, did you know, the Camel
    > (http://dev.perl.org/perl6/rfc/343.html) doesn't have a name either ? ...looks
    > like Duke (http://www.java.com/en/dukeszone/) is the only dude with a name
    > ...but then duke is not an animal (wtf is it ?), so it had to be called something !

    Well, we could call the perl camel Joe but I don't know if the perlcores
    (read: hardcore PERL users) would be down for that ;)

    ..c

    --

    Carl J. Van Arsdall

    Build and Release
    MontaVista Software
    Carl J. Van Arsdall, May 16, 2006
  7. Carl J. Van Arsdall wrote:

    > Well, we could call the perl camel Joe but I don't know if the perlcores
    > (read: hardcore PERL users) would be down for that ;)

    Hmmm. Perl is like smoking, it feels great and gives you cancer. Yes,
    there's definitely potential here. ;)

    --
    Edward Elliott
    UC Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall)
    Edward Elliott, May 17, 2006
  8. Steve

    Andy Sy Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > umm, was just wondering, does the python mascot have a name ? We are naming the
    > conference rooms in our office you see :eek:).
    >
    > Also, is there a place I could get some neat, good quality pics of the python ?
    >
    > - steve

    The Python mascot is called Odi.

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-September/185612.html

    --
    It's called DOM+XHR and it's *NOT* a detergent!
    Andy Sy, May 17, 2006
  9. Steve

    John D Salt Guest

    John D Salt, May 17, 2006
  10. Steve

    John Bokma Guest

    John Bokma, May 17, 2006
  11. Steve

    John D Salt Guest

    John D Salt, May 18, 2006
  12. John D Salt wrote:

    >>> "Odi" must be the Dutch for "Monty".
    >>>

    >> Nope. If it was Dutch it would probably be Odie
    >>

    > Damn.

    Odi(e) was a punk. I'm gonna be a rebel without a cause and stay with
    Monty ;)

    --

    Carl J. Van Arsdall

    Build and Release
    MontaVista Software
    Carl J. Van Arsdall, May 18, 2006
  13. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Carl J. Van Arsdall wrote:

    >>> Nope. If it was Dutch it would probably be Odie
    >>>

    >> Damn.
    >>

    > Odi(e) was a punk. I'm gonna be a rebel without a cause and stay with
    > Monty ;)

    Yes ! Monty sounds much better ! ...also imagine the expression on the PHB's
    face if this were to happen ...

    PHB: So, why is the language called python ?
    DEV: Well, it is named after Monty Python.
    PHB: Eh, but you just said the mascot was called Monty. Do you mean the
    language was named after it's mascot ??!!??
    DEV: Eh, yeah. They spent a lot of time deciding the mascot and naming it,
    before they designed the language.

    Regards
    Steve
    Steve, May 18, 2006
  14. Steve

    Mel Wilson Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > Carl J. Van Arsdall wrote:
    >>> Damn.
    >>>

    >> Odi(e) was a punk. I'm gonna be a rebel without a cause and stay with
    >> Monty ;)

    > Yes ! Monty sounds much better ! ...also imagine the expression on the
    > PHB's face if this were to happen ...

    Just reinforces the central truth. The mascot doesn't
    *have* a name. Most things don't. You're welcome to assign
    it the name "Monty" if you want.

    Mel.
    Mel Wilson, May 18, 2006
  15. Steve

    John D Salt Guest

    Mel Wilson <> wrote in news:_s2bg.8867$aa4.296233
    @news20.bellglobal.com:

    [Snips]
    > Just reinforces the central truth. The mascot doesn't
    > *have* a name. Most things don't.

    Most things don't have names?

    I'll believe you if you can give me a list of ten things that don't have
    names.

    ;-)

    All the best,

    John.
    John D Salt, May 19, 2006
  16. John D Salt wrote:

    > I'll believe you if you can give me a list of ten things that don't have
    > names.

    [ sub{$_}, sub{$_+1}, sub{$_+2}, sub{$_+3}, sub{$_+4},
    sub{$_+5}, sub{$_+6}, sub{$_+7}, sub{$_+8}, sub{$_+9}]

    That was easy.

    Ralf
    Ralf Muschall, May 19, 2006
  17. Steve

    Mel Wilson Guest

    John D Salt wrote:
    > Mel Wilson <> wrote in news:_s2bg.8867$aa4.296233
    > @news20.bellglobal.com:
    >
    > [Snips]
    >> Just reinforces the central truth. The mascot doesn't
    >> *have* a name. Most things don't.

    > Most things don't have names?
    >
    > I'll believe you if you can give me a list of ten things that don't have
    > names.
    >
    > ;-)

    !!!

    [object() for i in xrange(10)]

    > All the best,
    >
    > John.

    Likewise,

    Mel.
    Mel Wilson, May 19, 2006
  18. Ralf Muschall wrote:
    > John D Salt wrote:
    >

    >> I'll believe you if you can give me a list of ten things that don't have
    >> names.
    >>

    > [ sub{$_}, sub{$_+1}, sub{$_+2}, sub{$_+3}, sub{$_+4},
    > sub{$_+5}, sub{$_+6}, sub{$_+7}, sub{$_+8}, sub{$_+9}]
    >
    > That was easy.

    Wakka wakka.

    --

    Carl J. Van Arsdall

    Build and Release
    MontaVista Software
    Carl J. Van Arsdall, May 19, 2006
  19. John D Salt <jdsalt_AT_gotadsl.co.uk> wrote:

    > Most things don't have names?
    >
    > I'll believe you if you can give me a list of ten things that don't have
    > names.

    Chairs, couches, tables, desks, beds, cars, pens, phones, trees, windows
    (can you tell how I came up with this list? ;). Those are all object types
    without names to identify individual instances. "Ed's chair" and "John's
    blue car" aren't names to me, just descriptions. It's like saying "that
    temporary object on line 24 of function foo".

    Really, how many things *do* have names? People, pets, computers, ships,
    and a few guns?

    Edward Elliott, May 20, 2006