[silly] Does the python mascot have a name ?

Steve

umm, was just wondering, does the python mascot have a name ? We are naming the
conference rooms in our office you see :eek:).

Also, is there a place I could get some neat, good quality pics of the python ?

- steve

John D Salt

umm, was just wondering, does the python mascot have a name ?

I always assumed it was Monty, but I confess to not having the slightest
factual basis for this belief.

All the best,

John.

Carl J. Van Arsdall

John said:
I always assumed it was Monty, but I confess to not having the slightest
factual basis for this belief.
To be honest, Monty really makes the most sense to me for a mascot
name... now if we can only get past all that damn copyright infringement ;)

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall
(e-mail address removed)

skip

Carl> To be honest, Monty really makes the most sense to me for a mascot
Carl> name... now if we can only get past all that damn copyright
Carl> infringement ;)

My dad's nickname was Monty. Some friends of my son, Chris, call him Monty
as well. I doubt either of them would object. (Dad's gone, Chris does a
little Python programming from time-to-time.) I say go for it...

Skip (Montanaro)

Carl J. Van Arsdall

Steve said:
Well, so Monty it is ! ...btw, did you know, the Camel
(http://dev.perl.org/perl6/rfc/343.html) doesn't have a name either ? ...looks
like Duke (http://www.java.com/en/dukeszone/) is the only dude with a name
...but then duke is not an animal (wtf is it ?), so it had to be called something !
Well, we could call the perl camel Joe but I don't know if the perlcores
(read: hardcore PERL users) would be down for that ;)

..c

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall
(e-mail address removed)

Edward Elliott

Carl said:
Well, we could call the perl camel Joe but I don't know if the perlcores
(read: hardcore PERL users) would be down for that ;)

Hmmm. Perl is like smoking, it feels great and gives you cancer. Yes,
there's definitely potential here. ;)

Carl J. Van Arsdall

John said:
Odi(e) was a punk. I'm gonna be a rebel without a cause and stay with
Monty ;)

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall
(e-mail address removed)

Steve

Carl said:
Odi(e) was a punk. I'm gonna be a rebel without a cause and stay with
Monty ;)
Yes ! Monty sounds much better ! ...also imagine the expression on the PHB's
face if this were to happen ...

PHB: So, why is the language called python ?
DEV: Well, it is named after Monty Python.
PHB: Eh, but you just said the mascot was called Monty. Do you mean the
language was named after it's mascot ??!!??
DEV: Eh, yeah. They spent a lot of time deciding the mascot and naming it,
before they designed the language.

Regards
Steve

Mel Wilson

Steve said:
Yes ! Monty sounds much better ! ...also imagine the expression on the
PHB's face if this were to happen ...

Just reinforces the central truth. The mascot doesn't
*have* a name. Most things don't. You're welcome to assign
it the name "Monty" if you want.

Mel.

John D Salt

@news20.bellglobal.com:

[Snips]
Just reinforces the central truth. The mascot doesn't
*have* a name. Most things don't.

Most things don't have names?

I'll believe you if you can give me a list of ten things that don't have
names.

;-)

All the best,

John.

Ralf Muschall

John said:
I'll believe you if you can give me a list of ten things that don't have
names.

[ sub{$_}, sub{$_+1}, sub{$_+2}, sub{$_+3}, sub{$_+4},
sub{$_+5}, sub{$_+6}, sub{$_+7}, sub{$_+8}, sub{$_+9}]

That was easy.

Ralf

Mel Wilson

John said:
@news20.bellglobal.com:

[Snips]
Just reinforces the central truth. The mascot doesn't
*have* a name. Most things don't.

Most things don't have names?

I'll believe you if you can give me a list of ten things that don't have
names.

;-)

!!!

[object() for i in xrange(10)]

All the best,

John.

Likewise,

Mel.

Carl J. Van Arsdall

Ralf said:
John D Salt wrote:

I'll believe you if you can give me a list of ten things that don't have
names.

[ sub{$_}, sub{$_+1}, sub{$_+2}, sub{$_+3}, sub{$_+4},
sub{$_+5}, sub{$_+6}, sub{$_+7}, sub{$_+8}, sub{$_+9}]

That was easy.
Wakka wakka.

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall
(e-mail address removed)

Edward Elliott

John D Salt said:
Most things don't have names?

I'll believe you if you can give me a list of ten things that don't have
names.

Chairs, couches, tables, desks, beds, cars, pens, phones, trees, windows
(can you tell how I came up with this list? ;). Those are all object types
without names to identify individual instances. "Ed's chair" and "John's
blue car" aren't names to me, just descriptions. It's like saying "that
temporary object on line 24 of function foo".

Really, how many things *do* have names? People, pets, computers, ships,
and a few guns?