Silly newbie question.

Guest

I have written a short aspx file using .NET. I have set up IIS on my local
machine to allow me to test the file. It works fine on my local host but when
I upload this file to my website it does not work correctly. All I have
uploaded is 'just' the aspx file and nothing else, then I navigate to the
aspx file in a web browser. Any ideas as to why it doesnt work? I think the
code is fine but I'm guessing I must need to have something else on the
server to allow it to work?

Thanks for any tips,
David

Stimp

I have written a short aspx file using .NET. I have set up IIS on my local
machine to allow me to test the file. It works fine on my local host but when
I upload this file to my website it does not work correctly. All I have
uploaded is 'just' the aspx file and nothing else, then I navigate to the
aspx file in a web browser. Any ideas as to why it doesnt work? I think the
code is fine but I'm guessing I must need to have something else on the
server to allow it to work?

you also need to upload the contents of the bin directory, the
global.asax, global.vb, and web.config files.

Also if your page has code behind (i.e. WebForm1.vb) you will need to
upload this too.

This is assuming you are developing in VB.. if it's C# then replace .vb
with .cs above

Guest

Thanks for your help!

I tried creating a ASP.NET Web Services project, editing the .aspx file to
what I had before, compiled and built the project (which worked) and uploaded
the whole folder and all its contents to my website space. I still get the
same thing as before!? I dont understand, can I run ASP.NET Web Services on
my website space or do I need a specially configured Microsoft Server or
something??

Thanks again for any help,
David

Hans Kesting

Thanks for your help!
I tried creating a ASP.NET Web Services project, editing the .aspx file to
what I had before, compiled and built the project (which worked) and uploaded
the whole folder and all its contents to my website space. I still get the
same thing as before!? I dont understand, can I run ASP.NET Web Services on
my website space or do I need a specially configured Microsoft Server or
something??

Thanks again for any help,
David

Yes, your server needs to understand how to handle aspx files. This is
something that needs to be set explicitly. It's very possible that it
will not be activated at all, unless you pay for that "website space".
What sort of server is that website space on?

By the way, you *don't* need the sourcefiles on that server, the
compiled version (in the bin directory) is enough.

Hans Kesting

Stimp

I think the reason is that my Web Host does not support ASP.NET :-(

could be, but most web hosts that run windows servers should support
..net.

What is the error you get when u try to load the aspx page? Is it a
white page with yellow blocks containing text? If so, then this is
usually a sign that your server supports .net, but that the problem is
with your page setup.

Guest

Hans Kesting said:
Yes, your server needs to understand how to handle aspx files. This is
something that needs to be set explicitly. It's very possible that it
will not be activated at all, unless you pay for that "website space".
What sort of server is that website space on?

By the way, you *don't* need the sourcefiles on that server, the
compiled version (in the bin directory) is enough.

Hans Kesting

Thanks again for you answers. Its getting clearer now (semi muddy pond
water). I dont think that my Web Host supports ASP.NET, just ASP
(https://www.b-one.net/). When I load the aspx file in a web browser I just
get a plain white screen, with a little bit of black text, no yellow things.

Guess I'll have to get an ASP.NET enabled host, or I can just continue to
practice on the localhost using IIS (not as fun though).

Cheers,
David

Alan Silver

When I load the aspx file in a web browser I just get a plain white
screen, with a little bit of black text, no yellow things.

Just as a matter of style, this kind of comment is very vague and
unhelpful. Had you copied the actual error message, we would have
spotted this straight away. Similarly, saying that it "doesn't work" is
too vague to be of any use. It could mean almost anything. For us to be
able to help you, you need to be more precise and explain exactly what
happened (or didn't).

HTH