Silverlight and AMD processors

Henry Stock

Can anyone tell me why Silverlight will not work with AMD processors?

Silverlight can't be loaded with my AMD Athalon CPU and I asked about
some of the newer AMD CPUs. The retailer told me not to expect to be
able to use Silverlight.

It seems kind of dumb to build a technology that cuts out a sizable
portion of the market.

Registered User

Can anyone tell me why Silverlight will not work with AMD processors?

Silverlight can't be loaded with my AMD Athalon CPU and I asked about
some of the newer AMD CPUs. The retailer told me not to expect to be
able to use Silverlight.
Check
http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/p/3805/311563.aspx
for details about the why? Note the date of the thread as being August
2007.
It seems kind of dumb to build a technology that cuts out a sizable
portion of the market.
Apparently there were no problems with RC1 and AMD's new (as of 2007)
Athalon XP processor.

regards
A.G.

Hillbilly

I got burned by this myself by lack of SSE support and after much research
learned there is a BIOS upgrade that will allow Silverlight to load on the
first generation Athlon but I missed it by one minor rev. Its probably much
easier to ensure the BIOS is the latest your system will support and then
try to install Silverlight again than it may be to do all the research to
find out what rev is which and so on because Microsoft is full of liars and
cheats and has refused to update their requirements docmentation which of
course has lies in it noting I have no problem with cutoff points but they
do not have to be sleazy liars about it.