Silverlight video doesn't work when file is streamed from handler

Roger Martin

I have a web site under .NET 2.0 that renders videos using the Silverlight
media player.

The web page looks like this:
<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="video2.aspx.cs"
Inherits="WebApplication2.video2" %>

<head runat="server">
<title></title>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">
<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">
<Scripts>
<asp:ScriptReference Path="~/script/SilverlightControl.js" />
<asp:ScriptReference Path="~/script/SilverlightMedia.js" />
</Scripts>
</asp:ScriptManager>

<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
Sys.UI.Silverlight.Control.createObject('mp1p', '\u003cobject
type="application/x-silverlight" id="MediaPlayer1"
style="height:240px;width:320px;">\r\n\t\u003ca
href="http://go2.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=114576&v=1.0">\u003cimg
src="http://go2.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=108181" alt="Get Microsoft
Silverlight" style="border-width:0;" />\u003c/a>\r\n\u003c/object>');
Sys.Application.initialize();
Sys.Application.add_init(function()
{
// This works:
$create(Sys.UI.Silverlight.MediaPlayer, { "mediaSource":
"video/3StrikesChipmunk_56.wmv", "scaleMode": 1, "source":
"skins/mediaplayer/Professional.xaml" }, null, null, $get("mp1p"));

// This does not work (only difference is that it gets the video from the
handler)
//$create(Sys.UI.Silverlight.MediaPlayer, { "mediaSource":
"handler/getmediaobject.ashx", "scaleMode": 1, "source":
"skins/mediaplayer/Professional.xaml" }, null, null, $get("mp1p"));
});
//]]>
</script>
</form>

This page works great when I directly reference the video file. But when I
try to use an HTTP handler instead, all I get is an empty Silverlight control
with the Play button disabled and no video. You can repro it by commenting
out the $create line above that references the WMV file and uncomment the
line below it that uses the getmediaobject.ashx handler.

The getmediaobject.ashx handler is straight forward:

using System.IO;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.SessionState;

namespace WebApplication2.handler
{
[System.Web.Services.WebService(Namespace = "http://tempuri.org/")]
[System.Web.Services.WebServiceBinding(ConformsTo =
System.Web.Services.WsiProfiles.BasicProfile1_1)]
public class getmediaobject : IHttpHandler
{
#region IHttpHandler Members

public bool IsReusable
{
get { return true; }
}

public void ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
{
ProcessMediaObject(context,
context.Server.MapPath("~/video/3StrikesChipmunk_56.wmv"));
}

#endregion

private void ProcessMediaObject(HttpContext context, string filePath)
{
FileStream fileStream = null;
try
{
context.Response.Clear();
context.Response.ContentType = "video/x-ms-wmv";
context.Response.Buffer = false;

HttpCachePolicy cachePolicy = context.Response.Cache;
cachePolicy.SetExpires(System.DateTime.Now.AddSeconds(2592000)); // 30
days
cachePolicy.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.Public);
cachePolicy.SetValidUntilExpires(true);

const int bufferSize = 32768;
byte[] buffer = new byte[bufferSize];
long byteCount;
fileStream = File.OpenRead(filePath);
while ((byteCount = fileStream.Read(buffer, 0, buffer.Length)) > 0)
{
if (context.Response.IsClientConnected)
{
context.Response.OutputStream.Write(buffer, 0, buffer.Length);
context.Response.Flush();
}
else
{
return;
finally
{
if (fileStream != null)
fileStream.Close();

context.Response.End();

The really odd part is that the handler *does* work on my local network - it
only
fails when I publish the code to a web server and then access the page
across the internet. It happens on both IIS 6 and IIS 7, and in IE and
Firefox.

I published the above code at
http://www.galleryserverpro.com/dev/webapp2/video2.aspx. The page is
currently configured to use the handler so that you can see it failing for
yourself.

Additional info:
1. I am using the final release of 2.0 Silverlight, including the two script
files SilverlightControl.js and SilverlightMedia.js.
2. I have confirmed that no exception is occuring in the handler.
3. Using Firebug I can confirm that the handler is being called and that it
is returning data to the browser.

All evidence points to Silverlight not being able to handle the data
streamed from Silverlight. Perhaps there is a change I can make to the
handler to get it to work, or maybe there is an issue within Silverlight.
Please advise.

Thanks!
Roger Martin

Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
You need a cross domain policy document

I beleive you need to create a cross domain policy document.

here is a link that explains the document
timheuer.com/blog/archive/2008/04/06/silverlight-cross-domain-policy-file-snippet-intellisense.aspx

You have probably figured this out, but hopefully this will be usefull for someone else.