Silverlight video doesn't work when file is streamed from handler

Roger Martin

Note: My apologies for repeating this post from last week, but my nospam
alias and profile account were incorrect. I think I have fixed this, so
hopefully this post will trigger MS into a response per their MSDN policy.
--------------------

I have a web site under .NET 2.0 that renders videos using the Silverlight
media player.

The web page looks like this:
<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="video2.aspx.cs"
Inherits="WebApplication2.video2" %>

<head runat="server">
<title></title>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">
<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">
<Scripts>
<asp:ScriptReference Path="~/script/SilverlightControl.js" />
<asp:ScriptReference Path="~/script/SilverlightMedia.js" />
</Scripts>
</asp:ScriptManager>

<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
Sys.UI.Silverlight.Control.createObject('mp1p', '\u003cobject
type="application/x-silverlight" id="MediaPlayer1"
style="height:240px;width:320px;">\r\n\t\u003ca
href="http://go2.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=114576&v=1.0">\u003cimg
src="http://go2.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=108181" alt="Get Microsoft
Silverlight" style="border-width:0;" />\u003c/a>\r\n\u003c/object>');
Sys.Application.initialize();
Sys.Application.add_init(function()
{
// This works:
$create(Sys.UI.Silverlight.MediaPlayer, { "mediaSource":
"video/3StrikesChipmunk_56.wmv", "scaleMode": 1, "source":
"skins/mediaplayer/Professional.xaml" }, null, null, $get("mp1p"));

// This does not work (only difference is that it gets the video from the
handler)
//$create(Sys.UI.Silverlight.MediaPlayer, { "mediaSource":
"handler/getmediaobject.ashx", "scaleMode": 1, "source":
"skins/mediaplayer/Professional.xaml" }, null, null, $get("mp1p"));
});
//]]>
</script>
</form>

This page works great when I directly reference the video file. But when I
try to use an HTTP handler instead, all I get is an empty Silverlight control
with the Play button disabled and no video. You can repro it by commenting
out the $create line above that references the WMV file and uncomment the
line below it that uses the getmediaobject.ashx handler.

The getmediaobject.ashx handler is straight forward:

using System.IO;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.SessionState;

namespace WebApplication2.handler
{
[System.Web.Services.WebService(Namespace = "http://tempuri.org/")]
[System.Web.Services.WebServiceBinding(ConformsTo =
System.Web.Services.WsiProfiles.BasicProfile1_1)]
public class getmediaobject : IHttpHandler
{
#region IHttpHandler Members

public bool IsReusable
{
get { return true; }
}

public void ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
{
ProcessMediaObject(context,
context.Server.MapPath("~/video/3StrikesChipmunk_56.wmv"));
}

#endregion

private void ProcessMediaObject(HttpContext context, string filePath)
{
FileStream fileStream = null;
try
{
context.Response.Clear();
context.Response.ContentType = "video/x-ms-wmv";
context.Response.Buffer = false;

HttpCachePolicy cachePolicy = context.Response.Cache;
cachePolicy.SetExpires(System.DateTime.Now.AddSeconds(2592000)); // 30
days
cachePolicy.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.Public);
cachePolicy.SetValidUntilExpires(true);

const int bufferSize = 32768;
byte[] buffer = new byte[bufferSize];
long byteCount;
fileStream = File.OpenRead(filePath);
while ((byteCount = fileStream.Read(buffer, 0, buffer.Length)) > 0)
{
if (context.Response.IsClientConnected)
{
context.Response.OutputStream.Write(buffer, 0, buffer.Length);
context.Response.Flush();
}
else
{
return;
finally
{
if (fileStream != null)
fileStream.Close();

context.Response.End();

The really odd part is that the handler *does* work on my local network - it
only
fails when I publish the code to a web server and then access the page
across the internet. It happens on both IIS 6 and IIS 7, and in IE and
Firefox.

I published the above code at
http://www.galleryserverpro.com/dev/webapp2/video2.aspx. The page is
currently configured to use the handler so that you can see it failing for
yourself.

Additional info:
1. I am using the final release of 2.0 Silverlight, including the two script
files SilverlightControl.js and SilverlightMedia.js.
2. I have confirmed that no exception is occuring in the handler.
3. Using Firebug I can confirm that the handler is being called and that it
is returning data to the browser.

All evidence points to Silverlight not being able to handle the data
streamed from Silverlight. Perhaps there is a change I can make to the
handler to get it to work, or maybe there is an issue within Silverlight.
Please advise.

Thanks!
Roger Martin

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Roger,

I tested your page and it works fine on my side:
http://www.galleryserverpro.com/dev/webapp2/video2.aspx

Have you solved this issue? After the site has been published can you watch
the video when using Windows Media Player to access the ashx? If it cannot
work for Windows Media Player either I think probably it's not an
Silverlight issue. We can then move on to diagnose the IIS and the
HttpHandler.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

--------------------
> [...]
|
| I published the above code at
| http://www.galleryserverpro.com/dev/webapp2/video2.aspx. The page is
| currently configured to use the handler so that you can see it failing
for
| yourself.
|
| Additional info:
| 1. I am using the final release of 2.0 Silverlight, including the two
script
| files SilverlightControl.js and SilverlightMedia.js.
| 2. I have confirmed that no exception is occuring in the handler.
| 3. Using Firebug I can confirm that the handler is being called and that
it
| is returning data to the browser.
|
| All evidence points to Silverlight not being able to handle the data
| streamed from Silverlight. Perhaps there is a change I can make to the
| handler to get it to work, or maybe there is an issue within Silverlight.

Roger Martin

I got it! After comparing the Response headers of the handler versus the
hard-coded link, I noticed the handler version did not have a Content-Length.
So I added this line to the handler:

context.Response.AddHeader("Content-Length", fileStream.Length.ToString());

Voila! The video started working in every OS/browser after that.

There is a new problem where I can't jump around to different sections of
the video when using the handler, but I'll create a new post for that.

Thanks! Roger

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Roger,

Good job! I have to say you're an experienced developer. Before you sending
this post I thought we need do more complex steps to diagnose this issue.
Anyway I'm glad to know you've solved this problem.

Thank you for using our Newsgroup Support Service!

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Community Support

(e-mail address removed).