    Is there anyone who can help with this. After nearly 40 years of
    programming experience this takes the cake. Adobe don't worry.

    LS

    Lloyd Sheen, Feb 26, 2009

  2. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I posted a problem with install of Silverlight (have given up on attempting
    >to get the tools to work with VS 2008). Finally got it to install on
    >Vista.
    >
    > Went to a couple of sites and all was well.
    >
    > Ok , now I go to the MS site
    > http://silverlight.net/learn/learnvideo.aspx?video=57010 and what does it
    > want me to do???? Install Silverlight. So what gives??? It is
    > installed. Is this just about the stupidest piece of software ever??? I
    > know there is supposed to be a way to determine if the software is there
    > and prompt the user to install. IT IS INSTALLED!!!
    >

    > Is there anyone who can help with this. After nearly 40 years of
    > programming experience this takes the cake. Adobe don't worry.
    >
    > LS

    More WTF!!

    http://silverlight.net/showcase/

    In IE I get a "X Install Silverlight" , "X" is for the fact that the image
    is not found.

    In Chrome I see the whole thing. Is it IE (just installed IE8 RC1
    yesterday) or Silverlight.

    LS

    Lloyd Sheen, Feb 26, 2009

  3. This is most likely an IE8 issue if you are seeing it in Chrome.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Blog:

    | Think outside the box |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Feb 26, 2009
  4. Do you have the latest Silverlight bits? I do and I am not having any issues
    with the video.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Blog:

    | Think outside the box |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Feb 26, 2009
  5. Lloyd Sheen

    Tom Walker Guest

    >> Ok , now I go to the MS site
    >> http://silverlight.net/learn/learnvideo.aspx?video=57010 and what does it
    >> want me to do???? Install Silverlight. So what gives??? It is
    >> installed. Is this just about the stupidest piece of software ever??? I
    >> know there is supposed to be a way to determine if the software is there
    >> and prompt the user to install. IT IS INSTALLED!!!

    Silverlight doesn't work in a 64-bit browser (and neither does Flash).
    Might that be the problem?

    Tom Walker, Feb 26, 2009
  6. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    > Which image ? Trying now and the site works here. Also ok with the
    > video... If you have really an image it could be a more general problem ?
    >
    > What if you try :
    > - http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/resources/install.aspx
    >
    > It should display which version is installed (I installed version
    > Silverlight 2 GDR 1 (2.0.40115.0))
    >
    > If you have a developer setup DON'T install from there.
    > http://silverlight.net/GetStarted/ is likely preferred and in particular
    > you have the new runtime installs... Have you followed all the steps
    > (including VS 2008 SP1 as well as the Silverlight Tools and then the
    > updated developer runtime ?)
    >
    > For now it worked well for me (or could it be a IE8 issue ? was IE8
    > installed before or after Silvelight ?)
    >
    > --
    > Patrice
    >

    > "Lloyd Sheen" <> a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
    > OcVPT$...
    >>
    >> "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message
    >>>I posted a problem with install of Silverlight (have given up on
    >>>attempting to get the tools to work with VS 2008). Finally got it to
    >>>install on Vista.
    >>>
    >>> Went to a couple of sites and all was well.
    >>>
    >>> Ok , now I go to the MS site
    >>> http://silverlight.net/learn/learnvideo.aspx?video=57010 and what does
    >>> it want me to do???? Install Silverlight. So what gives??? It is
    >>> installed. Is this just about the stupidest piece of software ever??? I
    >>> know there is supposed to be a way to determine if the software is there
    >>> and prompt the user to install. IT IS INSTALLED!!!
    >>>

    >>> Is there anyone who can help with this. After nearly 40 years of
    >>> programming experience this takes the cake. Adobe don't worry.
    >>>
    >>> LS

    >> More WTF!!
    >>
    >> http://silverlight.net/showcase/
    >>
    >> In IE I get a "X Install Silverlight" , "X" is for the fact that the
    >> image is not found.
    >>
    >> In Chrome I see the whole thing. Is it IE (just installed IE8 RC1
    >> yesterday) or Silverlight.
    >>
    >> LS

    The image is the "X" shown when an image is not available (tried in several
    browsers). If I go to a site with Silverlight it now works. The stupid MS
    site for Silverlight does not. It does not think it is installed.

    I go to the site http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/resources/install.aspx
    and it indicates an install is necessary (if the Install shows when that
    condition exists). In the Silverlight gallery I go to one of the sites :
    http://amegas.org/index.php and it works. The about which is brought up
    shows version 2.0.40115.0

    I have assume that since it works on some sites MS has no idea of how to
    detect it. I guess it is good that people other than MS can make it work.
    All in all it is a very confusing and not at all professional.

    LS

    Lloyd Sheen, Feb 27, 2009
  7. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    > Which image ? Trying now and the site works here. Also ok with the
    > video... If you have really an image it could be a more general problem ?
    >
    > What if you try :
    > - http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/resources/install.aspx
    >
    > It should display which version is installed (I installed version
    > Silverlight 2 GDR 1 (2.0.40115.0))
    >
    > If you have a developer setup DON'T install from there.
    > http://silverlight.net/GetStarted/ is likely preferred and in particular
    > you have the new runtime installs... Have you followed all the steps
    > (including VS 2008 SP1 as well as the Silverlight Tools and then the
    > updated developer runtime ?)
    >
    > For now it worked well for me (or could it be a IE8 issue ? was IE8
    > installed before or after Silvelight ?)
    >
    > --
    > Patrice
    >

    > "Lloyd Sheen" <> a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
    > OcVPT$...
    >>
    >> "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message
    >>>I posted a problem with install of Silverlight (have given up on
    >>>attempting to get the tools to work with VS 2008). Finally got it to
    >>>install on Vista.
    >>>
    >>> Went to a couple of sites and all was well.
    >>>
    >>> Ok , now I go to the MS site
    >>> http://silverlight.net/learn/learnvideo.aspx?video=57010 and what does
    >>> it want me to do???? Install Silverlight. So what gives??? It is
    >>> installed. Is this just about the stupidest piece of software ever??? I
    >>> know there is supposed to be a way to determine if the software is there
    >>> and prompt the user to install. IT IS INSTALLED!!!
    >>>

    >>> Is there anyone who can help with this. After nearly 40 years of
    >>> programming experience this takes the cake. Adobe don't worry.
    >>>
    >>> LS

    >> More WTF!!
    >>
    >> http://silverlight.net/showcase/
    >>
    >> In IE I get a "X Install Silverlight" , "X" is for the fact that the
    >> image is not found.
    >>
    >> In Chrome I see the whole thing. Is it IE (just installed IE8 RC1
    >> yesterday) or Silverlight.
    >>
    >> LS

    Patrice,

    The bottom line seems to be that sites other than MS seem to work fine
    for example http://www.smoothhd.com/. If I go to the home page of MS I get
    the "Experience this is Silverlight - Download...." jpg.

    I found other sites that would not recognize Silverlight but not many.
    Just MS. MS does not recognize its own software. How pathetic.

    LS

    Lloyd Sheen, Feb 27, 2009