Similarity of strings

Ralf Goertz

Hi,

is there some c++ library that helps me assess the similarity of two
strings? In particular, I want to match strings that describe names of
institutions. For instance, one string could be a proper substring of
the other or one string contains abbreviations whereas the other does
not. Typos in one of the strings is another possibility.

Thanks in advance,

Ralf

mlimber

Ralf said:
is there some c++ library that helps me assess the similarity of two
strings? In particular, I want to match strings that describe names of
institutions. For instance, one string could be a proper substring of
the other or one string contains abbreviations whereas the other does
not. Typos in one of the strings is another possibility.

Possibly std::tr1::regex aka Boost.Regex
(http://boost.org/libs/regex/doc/index.html).

Cheers! --M

David Harmon

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 17:04:28 +0200 in comp.lang.c++, Ralf Goertz
is there some c++ library that helps me assess the similarity of two
strings? In particular, I want to match strings that describe names of
institutions. For instance, one string could be a proper substring of
the other or one string contains abbreviations whereas the other does
not. Typos in one of the strings is another possibility.

I don't have a specific recommendation for you,
but google "string distance".