Simple Ajax question.

Evertjan.

Dr J R Stockton wrote on 26 dec 2009 in comp.lang.javascript:
Putting the US flag first and the others in what looks like alphabetical
order of English form of language name is politically incorrect. The
flags should be in alphabetical order of the language currently being
shown, and the correct flag for English is of course the Cross of St
George. Latin & Esperanto seem to be missing.

Using flags for languages is incorrect as:

Some languages would need to point to many flags, and
most flags should point to more languages than one.

Even "political correct" has a different meaning for near every flag.

Why not stick to the compromize of wikipedia?

The translations used are laughably incorrect,
and often are nnot understandasble to a native speaker
without consulting the English version.

Does this have anything to do with Javascript?

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <Xns9CEDEF2BDF04Brespondinvalidinvali@94
..75.214.90>, Sun, 27 Dec 2009 04:30:43, Mike Duffy
Are you saying that the clocks (local & server) do not work for you? I
have not yet added the support for old (IE6 & <) browsers. Which browser
are you using?

I see no clocks with Firefox 3.0.15, IE, Chrome, Opera, Safari. You did
write "I have successfully added clocks to all my web pages to show
server time and local time.", so I only looked at some pages.

They are in alphabetic order of the drop-down list on the Google
"translate text" page, which is, I believe, exactly as you say it looks
like. English has been pushed to the start in order to reduce the
complexity of debugging.

Probably if I were hosting the UN web site I would do as you say, but
that seems to me to add complexity that does really add value to the
product worthy of the effort nor the risk of unforseen complications. To
be fair, I suppose I should use the alphabetic order of the 2 char iso
language code, and put English (en) in it's proper place between Greek
(el) and Spanish (es). The next time I find myself working on that part
of my javascript include file I will do exactly that.

I did actually consider this. But many international users would not make
the connection. As far as that goes, the UK flag is more widely used on
the web to denote the English language. But since my web-site is written
in Quebec English, it makes more sense to use the American flag.

You should be able to use both. But Wales, for which you have a flag,
is part of the UK. England is the only major part of the UK which has
no surviving active indigenous language other than English. But I think
you'd be hard pressed to find anyone (except maybe in Patagonia) who
would prefer Google's Welsh to your quasi-American English.

Take a look at my home page, via sig., which gives that translation
facility more economically.

There is a certain body of opinion that holds that flags should not be
used at all for language selection. The problem of choosing which country
flag to use for Swahili was reduced (for me) to picking the country with
the largest number of Swahili speakers. The Indian flag is an obvious
choice for Hindi written in the Devanagari script, but what will I do
when other uniquely Indian languages become supported? I used the Chinese
flag twice, but I cannot forsee doing this for all 400 Indian languages.
And did you recognize the flag I used for Yiddish?

As soon as Google supports them, I will add them. And I cannot for the
life of me guess what flags I will use.

For Latin, a bust of Caesar should be recognisable; and Zamenhof looks
quite different. But the Wiki Zamenhof article shows what is presumably
an Esperanto flag, confirmed by the Esperanto article. The Rome article
shows a flag, which could be used - or an SPQR logo.

In the planetary positions, or in the tide (gravity gradient)
calculation? Everything has always worked okay for me. I would appreciate
details on the errors you encountered.

In the text, e.g. "Currently, the Moon is NaN % illuminated."
Obviously, a lot is not shown.

MSIE8 raises errors such as

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1;
Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR
3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR
3.5.30729; OfficeLiveConnector.1.3; OfficeLivePatch.0.0)
Timestamp: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 20:42:07 UTC

Message: 'google.loader.ClientLocation.latitude' is null or not an
object
Line: 36
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: http://pages.videotron.com/duffym/astro.htm

Perhaps you are expecting readers to have installed something?

Maybe

uLat = google.loader.ClientLocation.latitude;

returns "undefined", which then should be tested for (Google has not
been told my latitude).

I've now quickly looked at the code. Perhaps HTML should show a
conspicuous area containing "If you can read this when loading is
finished, something is not working", and either replace it with results
or hide it.

For function jd(obs,actual) in astro.htm, you should be able to use
something *like*

new Date(obs.year, obs.month-1, obs.day) / 864e5 + constant

perhaps with a Date.UTC() inside.

You can use now.getFullYear instead of function getFullYear(now), or, if
you want to use only getYear, see :

function getFY(D) { var YE // needs full test in all browsers
YE = 1970 + Math.round(D.getTime() / 31556952000) // s per Greg yr
return YE + (D.getYear()-YE)%100 }

in <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-date0.htm#gFY>, in which
31556952000 only has to be roughly right (YE can be decades in error
without affecting the answer).

If you thinks that's bad, check out my poetry!

Unreadable in English, because of the colour and size.

JR

You should be able to use both.  But Wales, for which you have a flag,
is part of the UK.  England is the only major part of the UK which has
no surviving active indigenous language other than English.

I've heard about the Northumbrian (Tyneside region of England) dialect
called 'Geordie'.

Eeeh man, ahm gannin te the booza.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <55bf5dab-2dda-4e85-90aa-289b6c6a81b5@37
g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>, Mon, 28 Dec 2009 16:35:51, JR <groups_jr-
(e-mail address removed)> posted:
On Dec 28, 7:45 pm, Dr J R Stockton <[email protected]>
wrote:

I've heard about the Northumbrian (Tyneside region of England) dialect
called 'Geordie'.

A dialect is not a language. Spoken Geordie is just English peculiarly
pronounced with a few local words. Educated Geordies write in normal
English.