Simple beginner's question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jack, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Hi there,

    I'm a very experienced C++ developer but a relative newcomer to web
    development and a raw neophyte in the ASP.NET arena. I have a very simple
    scenario that hopefully someone can help me with. I have a 3rd-party HTML
    form with a single (submit) button and a number of (static) hidden fields
    (all values hardcoded). The form is pure HTML (no ASP or ASP.NET whatsoever)
    and it simply posts its data to a 3rd-party site when the button is clicked
    (i.e., the form's "action" attribute is set to the appropriate URL
    accordingly). This site then reads its data from the hidden fields on the
    form. I now want to re-write this form using ASP.NET but I'll add a single
    dropdown list. The form should then get posted back to my own server instead
    where I can now set (or dynamically create) these hidden fields based on the
    users' selected dropdown value. I then want to post the form back to the
    original 3rd-party site just like the original form handled it (but the
    hidden fields were now filled in by my server - they're no longer
    hardcoded). I can wire up the submit button's event handler in ASP.NET and
    check the dropdown list but I'm not sure what code I should be calling to
    dynamically create these hidden fields and then post the form to its
    original 3rd-party site. Can anyone show me the basic code to get me
    started. Thanks very much.

    Jack, Feb 25, 2008

  2. It sounds to me like you should find a basic book on ASP.NET before you
    attempt to actually write any sites or pages. I am not attempting to insult
    you by any means (before I took my first course on ASP.NET, I couldn't do
    anything, but I can do most things now), but if what you are trying to do is
    as simple as what it sounds like, you need to know how to do the basic
    things such this before ASP.NET will be any use to you. Here is my personal
    favorite for ASP.NET books, it is example-based and teaches you everything
    from the pure basics to almost all features that exist in ASP.NET:

    ASP.NET 2.0 Unleashed by Stephen Walther

    Almost everything I know either came from this book or experience, and it
    gives the code in VB.NET and C# (the C# code is only on the cd). Many people
    have recommended this book to me, and it is probably the best book I ever
    bought.
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Feb 25, 2008

  3. Jack

    Jack Guest

    > It sounds to me like you should find a basic book on ASP.NET before you
    > attempt to actually write any sites or pages. I am not attempting to
    > insult you by any means (before I took my first course on ASP.NET, I
    > couldn't do anything, but I can do most things now), but if what you are
    > trying to do is as simple as what it sounds like, you need to know how to
    > do the basic things such this before ASP.NET will be any use to you. Here
    > is my personal favorite for ASP.NET books, it is example-based and teaches
    > you everything from the pure basics to almost all features that exist in
    > ASP.NET:
    >
    > ASP.NET 2.0 Unleashed by Stephen Walther
    >
    > Almost everything I know either came from this book or experience, and it
    > gives the code in VB.NET and C# (the C# code is only on the cd). Many
    > people have recommended this book to me, and it is probably the best book
    > I ever bought.

    Thanks for the recommendation. However, I need to fast-track my
    understanding so I don't have the time (unfortunately) to wade through a
    lengthy book right now. In spite of appearances, my conceptual and
    mechanical understanding is already strong-enough to unravel most examples.
    A few lines of code is worth a thousand words (and in fact, my site is
    already well underway).

    Jack, Feb 25, 2008