    XMLHTTPRequest. The server is stateful and cannot be cgi. Is there a
    simple C++ framework to handle the HTTP communications? I had looked
    into XML-RPC but I'm not sure if that's the way to go.

    Full Decent, Jun 21, 2005

  2. Full  Decent

    Nick Kew Guest

    Full Decent wrote:
    > I want to write a simple C++ backend to a website so I can use
    > XMLHTTPRequest. The server is stateful and cannot be cgi. Is there a
    > simple C++ framework to handle the HTTP communications?

    Why not use Apache and develop your backend as a module?
    Save yourself reinventing the wheel of an HTTP server.

    --
    Nick Kew

    Nick Kew, Jun 21, 2005

  3. Full  Decent

    Full Decent Guest

    The issue is that the backend takes a long time to load and therefore
    cannot be loaded each call. Is this possible with an Apache module?

    Full Decent, Jun 22, 2005
  4. Full Decent () wrote:
    : The issue is that the backend takes a long time to load and therefore
    : cannot be loaded each call. Is this possible with an Apache module?

    Without being an expert of writing Apache modules, I can only say "sure, I
    think that's how they all work".

    mod_perl would be an example. I don't use it much, but I understand that
    pre-loading perl components, and also sharing items from one request to
    the next by remaining in memory, are exactly the sort of reason people use
    it.

    --

    This space not for rent.

    Malcolm Dew-Jones, Jun 22, 2005
  5. Full  Decent

    Nick Kew Guest

    Full Decent wrote:
    > The issue is that the backend takes a long time to load and therefore
    > cannot be loaded each call. Is this possible with an Apache module?

    Of course! That's bog-standard in the architecture commonly known as
    LAMP. Since Apache 2.0 (the stable release since 2002) you can do a
    good deal better than just that. There's a (sadly outdated) article
    at http://www.apachetutor.org/dev/reslist explaining how.

    For better, up-to-date info, see Chapter 7 of my forthcoming book,
    and come to our tutorial at ApacheCon ( http://www.apachecon.com/ ).

    --
    Nick Kew

    Nick Kew, Jun 22, 2005