simple chat script

Dave Kelly

I need a very simple chat script I can drop on my web server. Something
that a dozen people can access and have a committee meeting once a month
over the Internet.

Does something already exist or do I need to come back with some code?

TIA
Dave

J.O. Aho

Dave said:
I need a very simple chat script I can drop on my web server. Something
that a dozen people can access and have a committee meeting once a month
over the Internet.

Does something already exist or do I need to come back with some code?

I would suggest the use of IRC, you get a load less lag time.

Dave Kelly

J.O. Aho said:
I would suggest the use of IRC, you get a load less lag time.

Thanks for the feed back. I found that I did not have a IRC application
on my system. At least find, locate, and apropos did not respond to
'irc'. So I went and installed IRC.

Reading the KDE help of IRC, I must connect to a server chat room. Am I
correct? Can I create that chat room on my website server and what
software should I use to do that?

These people that will be using this are not exceptionally computer
savvy. I have trouble getting them to access the website, so KISSY KISSY
would be the best approach. Do you know of any software I could put on
the server and ask the users to just point there bowser to something
like: http://www.website.org/committe-meeting.htm

I'm looking for something that is real time interaactive.

Thanks
Dave

Travis Newbury

I need a very simple chat script I can drop on my web server. Something
that a dozen people can access and have a committee meeting once a month
over the Internet.
Does something already exist or do I need to come back with some code?

There is a great website out there called google.com. you can search
for just about anything you like on the internet. If you go there and
enter "free web based chat" I bet you would come up with a ton of
answers.

J.O. Aho

Dave said:
Reading the KDE help of IRC, I must connect to a server chat room.

You connect to a server, where you then select to enter a channel (chat room).
In KDE you KSirc, you find it in the internet menu.

Can I create that chat room on my website server and what
software should I use to do that?

You can use a web based irc client, there are modules to a load of popular
portals, which you can use or rewrite to be stand alone, but as you will use
your website this will cause lag time, a user gains a lot from using IRC
directly, faster, more features.

These people that will be using this are not exceptionally computer
savvy.

Mozilla/SeaMonkey has a built in IRC client, so that should be easy for them
to use IRC.

I have trouble getting them to access the website, so KISSY KISSY
would be the best approach.

If they have trouble to access your website, then they would have even less
chance of using a web based chat on your site.

Do you know of any software I could put on
the server and ask the users to just point there bowser to something
like: http://www.website.org/committe-meeting.htm

Use Rewrite Rules, most apaches are isntalled with th needed module (don't
know if thats true for microsoft)

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule /page/they/load.html http://www.website.org/committe-meeting.htm