    Dave

    --
    A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.

    Dave Kelly, Feb 18, 2007

  2. Dave Kelly

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Dave Kelly wrote:
    > I need a very simple chat script I can drop on my web server. Something
    > that a dozen people can access and have a committee meeting once a month
    > over the Internet.
    >
    > Does something already exist or do I need to come back with some code?

    I would suggest the use of IRC, you get a load less lag time.

    --

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Feb 18, 2007

  3. Dave Kelly

    Dave Kelly Guest

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Dave Kelly wrote:
    >> I need a very simple chat script I can drop on my web server.
    >> Something that a dozen people can access and have a committee meeting
    >> once a month over the Internet.
    >>
    >> Does something already exist or do I need to come back with some code?

    > I would suggest the use of IRC, you get a load less lag time.

    Thanks for the feed back. I found that I did not have a IRC application
    on my system. At least find, locate, and apropos did not respond to
    'irc'. So I went and installed IRC.

    Reading the KDE help of IRC, I must connect to a server chat room. Am I
    correct? Can I create that chat room on my website server and what
    software should I use to do that?

    These people that will be using this are not exceptionally computer
    savvy. I have trouble getting them to access the website, so KISSY KISSY
    would be the best approach. Do you know of any software I could put on
    the server and ask the users to just point there bowser to something
    like: http://www.website.org/committe-meeting.htm

    I'm looking for something that is real time interaactive.

    Thanks
    Dave

    --
    A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.

    Dave Kelly, Feb 18, 2007
  4. On Feb 18, 2:39 pm, Dave Kelly <> wrote:
    > I need a very simple chat script I can drop on my web server. Something
    > that a dozen people can access and have a committee meeting once a month
    > over the Internet.
    > Does something already exist or do I need to come back with some code?

    There is a great website out there called google.com. you can search
    for just about anything you like on the internet. If you go there and
    enter "free web based chat" I bet you would come up with a ton of
    answers.

    Travis Newbury, Feb 19, 2007
  5. Dave Kelly

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Dave Kelly wrote:

    > Reading the KDE help of IRC, I must connect to a server chat room.

    You connect to a server, where you then select to enter a channel (chat room).
    In KDE you KSirc, you find it in the internet menu.

    > Can I create that chat room on my website server and what
    > software should I use to do that?

    You can use a web based irc client, there are modules to a load of popular
    portals, which you can use or rewrite to be stand alone, but as you will use
    your website this will cause lag time, a user gains a lot from using IRC
    directly, faster, more features.

    > These people that will be using this are not exceptionally computer
    > savvy.

    Mozilla/SeaMonkey has a built in IRC client, so that should be easy for them
    to use IRC.

    > I have trouble getting them to access the website, so KISSY KISSY
    > would be the best approach.

    If they have trouble to access your website, then they would have even less
    chance of using a web based chat on your site.

    > Do you know of any software I could put on
    > the server and ask the users to just point there bowser to something
    > like: http://www.website.org/committe-meeting.htm

    Use Rewrite Rules, most apaches are isntalled with th needed module (don't
    know if thats true for microsoft)

    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule /page/they/load.html http://www.website.org/committe-meeting.htm

    --