simple coding question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Leif K-Brooks, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. akos91 wrote:
    > the basic coding is that I have a table encompassing the middle content
    > of the page, then a table column on the left containing the navigation
    > table.

    Sounds like you're using tables for layout. Don't do that.
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Leif K-Brooks

    akos91 Guest

    i've gotten pretty rusty on html coding, and i've forgotten quite a bit
    my problem seems to be a simple one, but i cant remember and figure ou
    how to fix it.

    I'm working on a site for a school project, and I've become stuck a
    this point.

    site is here: http://www.noammo.org/index2.html

    I have a bunch of tables set up and content in them, but the conten
    always stays in the middle of the table. I have a navigation bar to th
    left, and as you can see (where the four missing pictures are), th
    pictures are in the middle of the table. I want to make it so they ar
    at the top.

    the basic coding is that I have a table encompassing the middle conten
    of the page, then a table column on the left containing the navigatio
    table. to see the source just go to view source in your browser. if yo
    want me to post it just ask.

    thanks

    akos9
    akos91, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Leif K-Brooks

    akos91 Guest

    akos91, Dec 31, 2003
  4. Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > akos91 wrote:
    >> the basic coding is that I have a table encompassing the middle
    >> content of the page, then a table column on the left containing the
    >> navigation table.

    > Sounds like you're using tables for layout. Don't do that.
    > http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    Although the text of the page I agree with 100%, I just have to laugh at the
    "this page is sponsored by AffordableHOST" bit, whose site uses... wait for
    it... tables for layout! Hehehe.

    --
    Andrew Cameron
    "Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."
    Andrew Cameron, Dec 31, 2003
  5. Quoth the raven named Andrew Cameron:

    > Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    >> Sounds like you're using tables for layout. Don't do that.
    >> http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    > Although the text of the page I agree with 100%, I just have to
    > laugh at the "this page is sponsored by AffordableHOST" bit, whose
    > site uses... wait for it... tables for layout! Hehehe.

    Yes. Why can't that be in a tastefully small footer line - 85% - at
    the bottom of the pages. Or only on the main page.

    Maybe it's a coding misteak.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 31, 2003
  6. "Andrew Cameron" <> wrote in message
    > Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > > akos91 wrote:
    > >> the basic coding is that I have a table encompassing the middle
    > >> content of the page, then a table column on the left containing the
    > >> navigation table.

    > > Sounds like you're using tables for layout. Don't do that.
    > > http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    > Although the text of the page I agree with 100%, I just have to laugh at

    the
    > "this page is sponsored by AffordableHOST" bit, whose site uses... wait

    for
    > it... tables for layout! Hehehe.

    Oh god...not tables. *gasp* I should probably just take my whole site
    offline and crawl off and die somewhere. :p

    You know what else? My site doesn't validate, doesn't use alt tags very
    well and probably doesn't display as intended on some browsers. Take a
    pill...you'll feel better about it. ;-)

    --Tina

    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com
    20% Discount Code: newsgroup
    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Jan 3, 2004
  7. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    > Quoth the raven named Andrew Cameron:
    >
    > > Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > >> Sounds like you're using tables for layout. Don't do that.
    > >> http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    > > Although the text of the page I agree with 100%, I just have to
    > > laugh at the "this page is sponsored by AffordableHOST" bit, whose
    > > site uses... wait for it... tables for layout! Hehehe.

    > Yes. Why can't that be in a tastefully small footer line - 85% - at
    > the bottom of the pages. Or only on the main page.
    >
    > Maybe it's a coding misteak.

    Maybe we host the site 100% free, because I believe it serves a very good
    purpose, and the site owner is trying to say "Thank you"?

    --Tina
    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Jan 3, 2004
  8. Quoth the raven named Tina:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in
    > message news:3SIIb.97825$...
    >
    >> Quoth the raven named Andrew Cameron:

    >>> Although the text of the page I agree with 100%, I just have to
    >>> laugh at the "this page is sponsored by AffordableHOST" bit,
    >>> whose site uses... wait for it... tables for layout! Hehehe.

    >> Yes. Why can't that be in a tastefully small footer line - 85% -
    >> at the bottom of the pages. Or only on the main page.
    >>
    >> Maybe it's a coding misteak.

    > Maybe we host the site 100% free, because I believe it serves a
    > very good purpose, and the site owner is trying to say "Thank you"?

    I'm pretty sure we all knew you were hosting it for free, and that's
    commendable. The fact remains that the chosen plug takes up a fair
    chunk of valuable real estate above the fold, and would look better as
    a line in the footer. Even a specially colored line would be fine.

    Someone else mentioned this a couple of weeks ago.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 3, 2004
  9. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    > Quoth the raven named Tina:
    >
    > > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in
    > > message news:3SIIb.97825$...
    > >
    > >> Quoth the raven named Andrew Cameron:

    > >> Yes. Why can't that be in a tastefully small footer line - 85% -
    > >> at the bottom of the pages. Or only on the main page.
    > >>
    > >> Maybe it's a coding misteak.

    > > Maybe we host the site 100% free, because I believe it serves a
    > > very good purpose, and the site owner is trying to say "Thank you"?

    > I'm pretty sure we all knew you were hosting it for free, and that's
    > commendable. The fact remains that the chosen plug takes up a fair
    > chunk of valuable real estate above the fold, and would look better as
    > a line in the footer. Even a specially colored line would be fine.
    >
    > Someone else mentioned this a couple of weeks ago.

    I think the idea is to send us as much traffic as possible, as a way of
    saying "thanks for helping us out". Which I, in turn, very much appreciate.

    If someone else was sponsoring the site, I might be inclined to say "Jeez,
    that's a bit petty of you to slam on Allmyfaqs, who's offering you a site at
    no charge that apparently has helped you, regarding their sponsored ad...and
    taking pokes at their sponsor as well." But, since we're sponsoring it...I
    won't. ;-)

    --Tina
    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Jan 3, 2004
  10. Leif K-Brooks

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Beauregard T. Shagnasty scribbled in the mud:

    > Quoth the raven named Tina:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in
    >> message news:3SIIb.97825$...
    >>
    >>> Quoth the raven named Andrew Cameron:

    >>> Yes. Why can't that be in a tastefully small footer line - 85% -
    >>> at the bottom of the pages. Or only on the main page.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe it's a coding misteak.

    >> Maybe we host the site 100% free, because I believe it serves a
    >> very good purpose, and the site owner is trying to say "Thank you"?

    > I'm pretty sure we all knew you were hosting it for free, and that's
    > commendable. The fact remains that the chosen plug takes up a fair
    > chunk of valuable real estate above the fold, and would look better as
    > a line in the footer. Even a specially colored line would be fine.
    >
    > Someone else mentioned this a couple of weeks ago.

    What's your problem anyway. Do you even know who's idea it was to tell
    who was hosting the site? There's a very good chance that Tina had
    nothing to do with putting it there. Get your facts before you bitch.

    --
    Duende
    The best defense against logic is ignorance.
    Duende, Jan 3, 2004
  11. Quoth the raven named Duende:

    > While sitting in a puddle Beauregard T. Shagnasty scribbled in the
    > mud:
    >
    >> Quoth the raven named Tina:
    >>
    >>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote
    >>> in message news:3SIIb.97825$...

    >>> Maybe we host the site 100% free, because I believe it serves a
    >>> very good purpose, and the site owner is trying to say "Thank
    >>> you"?

    >> I'm pretty sure we all knew you were hosting it for free, and
    >> that's commendable. The fact remains that the chosen plug takes
    >> up a fair chunk of valuable real estate above the fold, and would
    >> look better as a line in the footer. Even a specially colored
    >> line would be fine.
    >>
    >> Someone else mentioned this a couple of weeks ago.

    > What's your problem anyway. Do you even know who's idea it was to
    > tell who was hosting the site? There's a very good chance that Tina
    > had nothing to do with putting it there. Get your facts before you
    > bitch.

    I never said Tina put it there or even requested it, and assumed the
    site's author did the work. I'm not upset by the information, only
    that the placement is a bit odd.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 3, 2004
  12. Tina - AffordableHOST.com wrote:
    > not tables. *gasp* I should probably just take my whole
    > site offline and crawl off and die somewhere. :p

    no that's reserved for site owners that lie and cheat. a severe thrashing
    will do.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Jan 3, 2004
  13. "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    > Tina - AffordableHOST.com wrote:
    > > not tables. *gasp* I should probably just take my whole
    > > site offline and crawl off and die somewhere. :p
    > >

    > no that's reserved for site owners that lie and cheat. a severe thrashing
    > will do.

    I am SO tempted to top-post. :-D

    --Tina
    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Jan 3, 2004