Simple CrystalReport Chart using SQL Query?

Don Wash

Hi All!

I've been searching everywhere for a simple sample of producing a bar graph
using CrystalReport by specifying SQL Query, and I've found none of it! I
find so many complex samples with so many features buried in the sample but
all I want to know is a very simple thing, how to create bar charts with
CrystalReport in VS.NET using SQL Query.

Could anyone provide me a sample showing how to produce a simple bar chart
using SQL Query in CrystalReports?

Say I want this SQL Query:

SELECT Count(AuthorID) FROM Authors GROUP BY AuthorGenre

How do I use CrystalReport in VS.NET to produce a Bar Chart for this query?
The nature of my application is a Web Application (i.e. ASP.NET).

Many Thanks!!!

Don

William Ryan eMVP

Don:

how familiar are you with crystal? I'm sure there are some samples but I
don't know of any. I can walk you through it, but it'd help if I knew how
familiar you are with it and how you want to connect. For isntance, are you
plannig on hitting the db directly or are you using a WS? And if it's on
the web, what's your authentication type fo SQL Server? Are you using Mixed
mode or are you using Windows and then impersonating? the hardest part is
going to be setting up the data source w/ security and then deploying it.
Assuming you can get the datasource to connect, all you need to do is start
the wizard, then drag the tables you are going to use (table in this case
unless you have other ones for heading info or something else) The wizard
will walk you through all fo this and it's either the second to last tab or
the third to last tab, it will ask you if you want a chart. It's very
similar to Excel. You can specify the Query in the Crystal Designer (or you
can use parameters - again it'd help if I knew your familialirity with it
and how far you've gotten).

I'll see if I can find a demo - I'm sure there's some on
www.crystaldecisions.com but if not, just let me know how much you need help
with ie your familiarity and I'll walk you through it.

--
W.G. Ryan MVP Windows - Embedded

Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups?
Let Microsoft know!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroups

Don Wash

Hi William,

Thanks for the reply! I'm a beginner to VS.NET and Crystal Reports but I'm a
solid VB6 developer and also know SQL query (T-SQL).

If you could provide me step-by-step on how to define Query in "Crystal
Designer", I'd be very appreciate it!

Don