    I've e-mailed the author on this, but no response.

    Thankyou to anyone who can help me out.

    Mark

    Mark Creelman, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Mark Creelman

    Uri Guttman Guest

    comp.lang.perl doesn't exist. any newsservers that have it are poorly
    admined.

    MC> I am attempting to use a database program that I downloaded from

    MC> http://www.thescripts.com/serversidescripting/perl/tutorials/asimpledatabaseprogram/database.txt

    you got what you paid for. pay $0, get crap code.

    MC> with good success. I have already modified it heavily with good
    MC> results. I am however stuck on something that I feel should have
    MC> been built into it, but for some reason wasn't. During the search
    MC> routine of the script that searches the database for a match based
    MC> on the entered query, there is no subroutine to return all
    MC> records. (aka entering the equivalent wildcard of *.* and having
    MC> it return all records) ditto for the modify and delete functions.

    then write it yourself. i won't go near that pile of poo code.

    MC> I've e-mailed the author on this, but no response.

    quality support is common for free crap scripts

    MC> Thankyou to anyone who can help me out.

    hire a real programmer next time. that script is so bad but you
    obviously can't tell as you were blinded by its cost.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Jan 22, 2004

  3. On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 03:25:37 +0000, Mark Creelman wrote:

    > I am attempting to use a database program that I downloaded from

    <snip>

    > I've e-mailed the author on this, but no response.

    You have a few options:

    1) email the author again

    2) write your own - this may be the best option, because a lot of the
    script that you can download have been written by those with little or no
    programming experience ... and even less experience with secure
    programming (for example: does the script have taint checking enabled
    ('-T' on the first line).

    3) pay someone else to do it for you - and make sure you get your money's
    worth out of it ;-)

    > Thankyou to anyone who can help me out.

    You're welcome.

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.

    James Willmore, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Uri Guttman <> wrote:

    > MC> I am attempting to use a database program that I downloaded from

    [ "the web" ]

    > i won't go near that pile of poo code.

    I thought this line of code was quite telling:

    $delimeter = "|";

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Jan 22, 2004
  5. Mark Creelman

    Uri Guttman Guest

    MC> I am attempting to use a database program that I downloaded from

    TM> [ "the web" ]

    >> i won't go near that pile of poo code.

    TM> I thought this line of code was quite telling:

    TM> $delimeter = "|";

    delimeter: noun, scale used to weigh and price cold cuts.
    also the unit of length for salamis.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Mark Creelman

    Jay Tilton Guest

    :
    : > I am attempting to use a database program that I downloaded from
    :
    : <snip>
    :
    : > I've e-mailed the author on this, but no response.
    :
    : You have a few options:
    :
    : 1) email the author again

    Not worth the time. The author commits so many novice mistakes in the
    program that you have to doubt his competence.

    : 2) write your own - this may be the best option, because a lot of the
    : script that you can download have been written by those with little or no
    : programming experience ... and even less experience with secure
    : programming (for example: does the script have taint checking enabled
    : ('-T' on the first line).

    This one doesn't. And the program uses some of the unlaundered data in
    string evals. Scary stuff.

    : 3) pay someone else to do it for you - and make sure you get your money's
    : worth out of it ;-)

    That option sounds pretty good. The program is really about maintaining
    a CSV database. Rewriting the whole thing to use DBI would take no
    time, would provide the extensibility the OP wants, and would allow
    transparent migration to a more robust database when the needs outgrow
    CSV.

    Jay Tilton, Jan 23, 2004