simple database

Jason Walter

I'm pretty sure that my host doesn't support MS Access database.
I need a simple solution where I can have a coupon page for my business.
Before you can get to that page you must create an account that asks for
name address and email and password. After that you log in and have access
to the coupon page.

I can do this using Ultradev MX with Access, but I want to do it with out
access. I still want to use a database.

Any ideas or scripts?

Jason

Adrienne

I'm pretty sure that my host doesn't support MS Access database.
I need a simple solution where I can have a coupon page for my
business. Before you can get to that page you must create an account
that asks for name address and email and password. After that you log
in and have access to the coupon page.

I can do this using Ultradev MX with Access, but I want to do it with
out access. I still want to use a database.

Any ideas or scripts?

Jason

Depending on what your host provides, you could possibly use a text file.
Your create account page would write to the text file, then to gain access
you would loop through the text file to find a match.

If your host provides MySQL you could go with that. MySQL tables are very
similar to Access tables, and the SQL syntax is almost the same.

If your host does not allow scripting at all, then you need to find another
host for what you want to do.

mark | r

just how do you setup mysql do you have to use shell, isnt there a better
way?

mark

FatBlokeOnBikepins

..
My remote hosting company www.pay-as-you-host.com (my only connection being that of a
satisfied customer) provides phpMyAdmin - many do - and it really is about as simple as
you can get. Each element has a hyperlink straight to the mysql docs.
Ask your provider to set it up for you?

Sent from within Forte's Agent.
Pull the pins out to reply direct.

Jason Walter

What are my options if I did want to keep the database and allow an admin
interface.
Jason

dj

Jason Walter said:
What are my options if I did want to keep the database and allow an admin
interface.
Jason

access

What database and scripting options are available at the host?
Unless they are very special friends, you wont be able to install a
dbserver, so you have to work within their framework.

dj

Jason Walter

I use united hosting. I'm actually a reseller of the hosting space. So I can
set it up how ever I want.
I don't understand your answer though. A DBserver?
Basically, what I want to do is have the web form put the a users info into
a database so I can then copy the database down to my pc for marketing
reasons. The user will have created a UN and PW on the form as well as thier
address and email, etc.
I can very easily do this with Access, but my United Hosting space is not a
windows server. I think there is a way to still do this with Access, isn't
there?

Thanks again for your help
Jason

Mr. Clean

I use united hosting. I'm actually a reseller of the hosting space. So I can
set it up how ever I want.
I don't understand your answer though. A DBserver?
Basically, what I want to do is have the web form put the a users info into
a database so I can then copy the database down to my pc for marketing
reasons. The user will have created a UN and PW on the form as well as thier
address and email, etc.
I can very easily do this with Access, but my United Hosting space is not a
windows server. I think there is a way to still do this with Access, isn't
there?

No you don't need an Windows based server to use Access. If your host offers
PHP, and has the ODBC driver loaded, yes, even on Linux, you can use it to
access your Access DBs from PHP.