    access. I still want to use a database.

    Any ideas or scripts?

    Jason
    Jason Walter, Jul 17, 2003

  2. Jason Walter

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jason Walter" <>
    writing in news:q0BRa.240435$:

    > I'm pretty sure that my host doesn't support MS Access database.
    > I need a simple solution where I can have a coupon page for my
    > business. Before you can get to that page you must create an account
    > that asks for name address and email and password. After that you log
    > in and have access to the coupon page.
    >
    > I can do this using Ultradev MX with Access, but I want to do it with
    > out access. I still want to use a database.
    >
    > Any ideas or scripts?
    >
    > Jason

    Depending on what your host provides, you could possibly use a text file.
    Your create account page would write to the text file, then to gain access
    you would loop through the text file to find a match.

    If your host provides MySQL you could go with that. MySQL tables are very
    similar to Access tables, and the SQL syntax is almost the same.

    If your host does not allow scripting at all, then you need to find another
    host for what you want to do.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Jul 17, 2003

  3. Jason Walter

    Jason Walter Guest

    I'm looking to go the MySQL route. Any suggestions?

    Jason

    Jason Walter, Jul 17, 2003
  4. Jason Walter

    mark | r Guest

    just how do you setup mysql do you have to use shell, isnt there a better
    way?

    mark

    mark | r, Jul 18, 2003
  5. On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:21:22 +0100, mark | r wrote:

    > just how do you setup mysql do you have to use shell, isnt there a better
    > way?

    Ask your provider to set it up for you?

    playing://(nothing)
    Toby A Inkster, Jul 18, 2003
  6. Jason Walter

    Guest

    ..
    My remote hosting company www.pay-as-you-host.com (my only connection being that of a
    satisfied customer) provides phpMyAdmin - many do - and it really is about as simple as
    you can get. Each element has a hyperlink straight to the mysql docs.

    >On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:21:22 +0100, mark | r wrote:
    >
    >> just how do you setup mysql do you have to use shell, isnt there a better
    >> way?

    >Ask your provider to set it up for you?

    Sent from within Forte's Agent.
    Pull the pins out to reply direct.
    , Jul 18, 2003
  7. Jason Walter

    Jason Walter Guest

    What are my options if I did want to keep the database and allow an admin
    interface.
    Jason

    "dj" <> wrote in message

    > "Jason Walter" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm pretty sure that my host doesn't support MS Access database.
    > > I need a simple solution where I can have a coupon page for my business.
    > > Before you can get to that page you must create an account that asks for
    > > name address and email and password. After that you log in and have

    access
    > > to the coupon page.
    > >
    > > I can do this using Ultradev MX with Access, but I want to do it with

    out
    > > access. I still want to use a database.
    > >
    > > Any ideas or scripts?
    > >
    > > Jason
    > >

    > do you need to keep the user information online (ie does your app need
    > access to it?)
    >
    > if not, and and if your isp lets you run asp or php scripts you could send
    > the information to yourself via email (if they have aspmail or similiar)

    or
    > write the information to a plain text file, saved into a secure area,

    (which

    Jason Walter, Jul 21, 2003
  8. Jason Walter

    dj Guest

    > What are my options if I did want to keep the database and allow an admin
    > interface.
    > Jason
    >
    > "dj" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jason Walter" <> wrote in message
    > > > I'm pretty sure that my host doesn't support MS Access database.
    > > > I need a simple solution where I can have a coupon page for my

    business.
    > > > Before you can get to that page you must create an account that asks

    for
    > > > name address and email and password. After that you log in and have

    > access

    What database and scripting options are available at the host?
    Unless they are very special friends, you wont be able to install a
    dbserver, so you have to work within their framework.

    dj
    dj, Jul 21, 2003
  9. Jason Walter

    Jason Walter Guest

    I use united hosting. I'm actually a reseller of the hosting space. So I can
    set it up how ever I want.
    I don't understand your answer though. A DBserver?
    Basically, what I want to do is have the web form put the a users info into
    a database so I can then copy the database down to my pc for marketing
    reasons. The user will have created a UN and PW on the form as well as thier
    address and email, etc.
    I can very easily do this with Access, but my United Hosting space is not a
    windows server. I think there is a way to still do this with Access, isn't
    there?

    Thanks again for your help
    Jason

    Jason Walter, Jul 22, 2003
  10. Jason Walter

    Mr. Clean Guest

    In article <tJ9Ta.277645$>,
    says...
    > I use united hosting. I'm actually a reseller of the hosting space. So I can
    > set it up how ever I want.
    > I don't understand your answer though. A DBserver?
    > Basically, what I want to do is have the web form put the a users info into
    > a database so I can then copy the database down to my pc for marketing
    > reasons. The user will have created a UN and PW on the form as well as thier
    > address and email, etc.
    > I can very easily do this with Access, but my United Hosting space is not a
    > windows server. I think there is a way to still do this with Access, isn't
    > there?

    No you don't need an Windows based server to use Access. If your host offers
    PHP, and has the ODBC driver loaded, yes, even on Linux, you can use it to
    access your Access DBs from PHP.
    Mr. Clean, Jul 22, 2003